CHIT CHAT

Thandie looked around her; everything was still. It was rare for her to be in a noiseless scene. There was always someone or something to disturb her peace, but as she sat on the street with Callum, all the noise seemed muted.

Only Callum's voice pierced the soundless space," You said you were braiding."

"Yes."

"But you also work during the day?"

"Yes, at the post office," Thandie replied while looking at Callum's feet. He wore the same brand of sneakers that Thiane lent her for her date with Cole. Thandie remembered her sister said the brand trended.

Did it mean he had some sense of style?

"Really, I've never seen you there," Callum said. At the same time, he never went to the post office. Liz sent off all the bills and did his banking.

"I doubt you transfer money out of England."

The man's befuddled stare pushed Thandie to pursue, "I'm at the union money transfer desk."

"Oh, I see." Callum's cigarette breath fanned Thandie's face. The smell slightly bothered her. No wonder he didn't have a woman; the odor was distracting but not as bad as her colleagues who mixed coffee and cigarettes.

Thandie sometimes got the impression she was the only person troubled by it when she saw how close her colleagues spoke to one another.

She and Callum were close. She whiffed his breath because he stared at her. His body leaned in her direction. Thandie looked in front of her and only turned her head when she spoke.

She didn't appear to be a shy type, yet Thandie came off as timid at that moment.

"So you have two jobs?"

Thandie clapped her hands and said, "Three."

"Three," Callum exclaimed.

"I also work at the dry cleaners. Braiding is a side hustle."

Why was she saying all this?

Why was she telling this man she barely knew all these things about her?

"I see. You must hardly have time for yourself; I mean, with your kids and all, it's a lot of responsibility for one person. You're courageous."

This was the reason Thandie said these things. She wished to hear comforting words, and Callum served her expectation.

No mathematical calculations were needed for Callum to understand why the woman had so many jobs.

How to try to make ends meet?

Callum's respect for Thandie grew. "I know people who can't even manage one job or care for one child."

"I'm not going to lie it isn't easy, but I have no choice."

You do, thought Callum. People ran away from their responsibility daily without flicking an eyelid. He ran from his concerning Liam but felt guilty every time he saw Thandie and her children.

"My time is now."

"Pardon," Callum said.

"You said I didn't have time for myself. I have time when my kids are asleep. Sleep doesn't come easily."

Thandie thought of the last time she slept soundlessly. Moses' weight on their bed reassured her, and his absence forced Thandie to stay awake like a watchdog. Yes, the sentiment of being protected rocked her to sleep back in the day. The memories now stood so far back in her mind like a mirage.

Callum could only relate, "Me too; I usually close my eyes when I have to wake up."

"And what time is that?" Thandie asked.