5.5 | I Will Never Hurt You Again

The sun, hot on the bare skin of my back, woke me in the morning

The sun, hot on the bare skin of my back, woke me in the morning. Late morning, maybe afternoon, I wasn't sure. Everything besides the time was clear, though; I knew exactly where I was—the bright room with the big white bed, brilliant sunlight streaming through the open doors. The clouds of netting would soften the shine.

I didn't open my eyes. I was too happy to change anything, no matter how small.

The only sounds were the waves outside, our breathing, my heartbeat....

I was comfortable, even with the baking sun. His cool skin was the perfect antidote to the heat. Lying across his wintry chest, his arms wound around me, felt very easy and natural. I wondered idly what I'd been so panicky about last night. My fears all seemed silly now.

His fingers softly trailed down the contours of my spine, and I knew that he knew I was awake. I kept my eyes shut and tightened my arms around his neck, holding myself closer to him.

He didn't speak; his fingers moved up and down my back, barely touching it as he lightly traced patterns on my skin.

I would have been happy to lie here forever, to never disturb this moment, but my body had other ideas. I laughed at my impatient stomach. It seemed sort of prosaic to be hungry after all that had passed last night. Like being brought back down to earth from some great height.

But I remembered my mom sent me a link to an article that said I shouldn't eat eight hours before having sex as a bottom if I needed to be "sexual" for hours at a time. So all I had was wedding cake. My mom is super intrusive but that article helped me. I smiled at the level of research my mom put into my honeymoon. She and Jimin were gonna make me a pro at sex. The growl in my stomach made a comeback.

"What's funny?" he murmured, still stroking my back. The sound of his voice, serious and husky, brought with it a deluge of memories from the night, and I felt a blush color my face and neck.

To answer his question, my stomach growled once again. I laughed again.

"You just can't escape being human for very long."