23 | The Fuck?

Taehyung was still apologizing, and I didn't think that was either fair or appropriate

Taehyung was still apologizing, and I didn't think that was either fair or appropriate. After all, Taehyung hadn't completely and inexcusably lost control of his temper. Taehyung hadn't tried to rip Minghyu's head off—Minghyu, who wouldn't even phase to protect himself—and then accidentally broken Yeonjun's shoulder and collarbone when he jumped in between. Taehyung hadn't almost killed his best friend.

Not that the best friend didn't have a few things to answer for, but, obviously, nothing Minghyu had done could have mitigated my behavior. So shouldn't I have been the one apologizing? I tried again.

"Yeonjun, I—"

"Don't worry about it, Kook, I'm totally fine," Yeonjun said at the same time that Taehyung said, "Kook, love, no one is judging you. You're doing so well."

They hadn't let me finish a sentence yet

They hadn't let me finish a sentence yet. It only made it worse that Taehyung was having a difficult time keeping the smile off his face. I knew that Minghyu didn't deserve my overreaction, but Taehyung seemed to find something satisfying in it. Maybe he was just wishing that he had the excuse of being a newborn so that he could do something physical about his irritation with Minghyu, too.

I tried to erase the anger from my system entirely, but it was hard, knowing that Minghyu was outside with Eunjin right now. Keeping her safe from me, the crazed newborn. Like she's his and not my baby that I fricking carried. I had to rein it back in. I was seeing red again.

Joon secured another piece of the brace to Yeonjun's arm, and Yeonjun winced.

"Sorry, sorry!" I mumbled, knowing I'd never get a fully articulated apology out.

"Don't freak, Kook," Yeonjun said, patting my knee with his good hand while Taehyung rubbed my arm from the other side.

Yeonjun seemed to feel no aversion to having me sit beside him on the sofa as Joon treated him. "I'll be back to normal in half an hour," he continued, still patting my knee as if oblivious to the cold, hard texture of it. "Anyone would have done the same, what with Minghyu and Eb—" He broke off mid-word and changed the subject quickly. "I mean, at least you didn't bite me or anything. That would've sucked."