34 | Taehyung Had No Answer

I heard the music before I was out of the car

I heard the music before I was out of the car. Taehyung hadn't touched his piano since the night Jimin left. Now, as I shut the car door, I heard the song morph through a bridge and change into my lullaby. Taehyung was welcoming me home.

I moved slowly as I pulled Eunjin—fast asleep; we'd been gone all day—from the car. We'd left Minghyu at Jaewoo's—he'd said he was going to catch a ride home with Sue. I wondered if he was trying to fill his head with enough trivia to crowd out the image of the way my face had looked when I'd walked through Jaewoo's door.

As I walked slowly to the Cullen house now, I recognized that the hope and uplift that seemed almost a visible aura around the big house had been mine this morning, too. It felt alien to me now.

I wanted to cry again, hearing Taehyung play for me. But I pulled it together. I didn't want him to be suspicious. I would leave no clues in his mind for Aro if I could help it.

Taehyung turned his head and smiled when I came in the door, but kept playing.

"Welcome home," he said, as if this was just any normal day. As if there weren't twelve other vampires in the room involved in various pursuits, and a dozen more scattered around somewhere. "Did you have a good time with Jaewoo today?"

"Yes. Sorry I was gone so long. I stepped out to do a little Christmas shopping for EJ. I know it won't be much of an event, but . . ." I shrugged.

Taehyung's lips turned down. He quit playing and spun around on the bench so that his whole body was facing me. He put one hand on my waist and pulled me closer. "I hadn't thought much about it. If you want to make an event of it—"

"No," I interrupted him. I flinched internally at the idea of trying to fake more enthusiasm than the bare minimum. "I just didn't want to let it pass without giving her something."

"Do I get to see?"

"If you want. It's only a little thing."

Eunjin was completely unconscious, snoring delicately against my neck. I envied her. It would have been nice to escape reality, even for just a few hours.

Carefully, I fished the little velvet jewelry bag from my clutch without opening the purse enough for Taehyung to see the cash I was still carrying.

"It caught my eye from the window of an antique store while I was driving by."

I shook the little golden locket into his palm. It was round with a slender vine border carved around the outside edge of the circle. Taehyung popped the tiny
catch and looked inside. There was space for a small picture and, on the opposite side, an inscription in French.

"Do you know what this says?" he asked in a different tone, more subdued than before.

"The shopkeeper told me it said something along the lines of 'more than my own life.' Is that right?"