14 | Before Anyone Could Guilt Me Into Anything Else

When I got back to the house, there was no one waiting outside for my report

Still on alert?

Everything's cool, I thought tiredly.

My eyes quickly caught a small change in the now-familiar scene. There was a stack of light-colored fabric on the bottom step of the porch. I loped over to investigate. Holding my breath, because the vampire smell stuck to the fabric like you wouldn't believe, I nudged the stack with my nose. Someone had laid out clothes. Huh. Taehyung must have caught my moment of irritation as I'd bolted out the door. Well. That was... nice. And weird.

I took the clothes gingerly between my teeth—ugh—and carried them back to the trees. Just in case this was some joke by the blond psychopath and I had a bunch of girls' stuff here. Bet she'd love to see the look on my human face as I stood there naked, holding a sundress.

In the cover of the trees, I dropped the stinking pile and shifted back to human. I shook the clothes out, snapping them against a tree to beat some of the smell from them. They were definitely guy's clothes—tan pants and a white button down shirt. Neither of them long enough, but they looked like they'd fit around me. Must be Hoseok's. I rolled the cuffs up on the shirtsleeves, but there wasn't
much I could do about the pants. Oh well.

I had to admit, I felt better with some clothes to my name, even stinky ones that didn't quite fit. It was hard not being able to just jet back home and grab another pair of old sweatpants when I needed them. The homeless thing again—not having any place to go back to. No possessions, either, which wasn't bothering me too bad now, but would probably get annoying soon.

Exhausted, I walked slowly up the Cullens' porch steps in my fancy new secondhand clothes but hesitated when I got to the door. Did I knock? Stupid, when they knew I was here. I wondered why no one acknowledged that—told me either to come in or get lost. Whatever. I shrugged and let myself in.

More changes. The room had shifted back to normal—almost—in the last twenty minutes. The big flat-screen was on, low volume, showing some chick flick that no one seemed to be watching. Namjoon and Seokjin stood by the back windows, which were open to the river again. Jimin, Yoongi, and Hoseok were out of sight, but I heard them murmuring upstairs. Kook was on the couch like yesterday, with
just one tube still hooked into him, and an IV hanging behind the back of the sofa. He was wrapped up like a burrito in a couple of thick quilts, so at least they'd listened to me before. Rosé was cross-legged on the ground by his head.

Taehyung sat at the other end of the couch with Kook's burrito'ed feet in his lap. He looked up when I came in and smiled at me—just a little twitch of his mouth—like something pleased him.

Kook didn't hear me. He only glanced up when he did, and then he smiled, too. With real energy, his whole face lighting up. I couldn't remember the last time he'd looked so excited to see me.