Horizon - Chapter 3

Horizon

How come when I call for you,
you are not there,
yet when I do not wish for you,
you arrive?

What cruel, cruel being does that to his children?
Am I of your blood?
Your wealth?
Your name?
Your shame?

I thought we separated a long time ago.
Back to back, not another word spoken,
yet you return.
Knocking at my door,
battering at my windows,
clawing at my mind
where you do not belong.

And must I just sit and take it?

I found new purpose,
better purpose than you.
I'd like you to leave, I think.
To leave and never come back.

That sounds wonderful.
Doesn't that sound wonderful?

Of course not.
As if you'd listen to me anyway.

Remember when I was little
and every day I sat there
watching you?
You would shout and yell
thrash and scream
cry and shout
and I would laugh back.

You held me when no one else did
so I looked past your yells and screams.
I only looked at you in awe.
You had so much
yet held so little.

I longed to be free
but all I could see
was the horizon.

That claustrophobic horizon.

Sayori - "Y/N!"

Y/N - "Huh?"

Y/N was snapped out of his trance. He was in arithmetic, last period. The day had breezed by. He couldn't really remember most of it; his mind was stuck on the rain. He was happy to see it. It felt happy to see him. That and his poem. He liked the poem he wrote; the original plan was to write something mushy about embracing new friendships, but the rain... spoke to him. Like it was seeing an old friend for the first time in years. 

Sayori - "You spaced out. Honestly, you may be as bad as me!"

Y/N - "I don't think that's possible."

Sayori playfully knocks his shoulder as they continue to work. It had only been a day, but Y/N felt so much happier at this school. He almost had a club member in each of his classes; Sayori and him shared Arithmetic and Psychology, Natsuki also shared Arithmetic and Art apparently, Yuri was in his Literature and Social Studies, and Monika was in his Science and PE, though he had yet to have either of these lessons. He was alone for music, but he got along well enough with the small class there anyways. Lunch was consistently banging out top tier food instead of the 'food' his old school served.

Sayori - "Any idea what question 8 is about?"

Y/N - "Question 8?"

Y/N groaned realising the paper was double-sided. Honestly, maths sucked.

The lesson was over soon enough, letting Y/N, Sayori and Natsuki escape the clutches of Pythagoras and charge over to the clubroom. Sayori burst in first, cheering at her victory in the apparent race they were having. Y/N couldn't help but laugh at her goofiness. Sayori always managed to hold this infectious energy around her, it was pretty magical.

Y/N pulled out his poem, readying himself to share and analyse what everyone had done. He was excited to see how everyone wrote.

Sayori - "You seem eager, Y/N!"

Y/N - "Sure am! I've never had anyone to show my writing to, so I'm pretty stoked. I'm really interested to see how you all write too. Should be a lot of fun I think."

Natsuki - "Hmph, you're a lot more excited than we we're when we started sharing poems. It was super awkward."

Y/N - "Well hopefully it won't be today."

Sayori - "That's the spirit!"

They share a laugh as Yuri walks in next, nodding politely at everyone before sheepishly pulling out her poem.