2] The painting

The next morning, I woke up early, way too early for my usual routine. Usually, I get up at 7, take care of my cleanliness and go down to help mother with breakfast. Today, the sun wasn't even up and I was wide awake, Grace was sleeping soundly hence without disturbing her I got up steadily and tiptoed towards the window. I brushed the curtain aside and opened the window to welcome the cool winter breeze. I shivered and looked outside. The moon was still up in the sky hidden behind a dark cloud reminding me of the face I saw yesterday. I was not someone who gets smitten over a person just because of their appearance, nor was I someone to fall in love easily, as for me love was far more superior than a first impression of beauty or wealth. And still I was puzzled, no matter what, why couldn't I get him out of my head. Why does his face appear as soon as I close my eyes staring at me with those menacing blue orbs.

Without wasting a minute I ran towards the dressing table and immediately lit the candle. I grabbed my easel, a canvas and some paint and sat near the window on a stool. I closed my eyes for a second and started painting. Starting with the maple tree and slowly doing the silhouettes of nearby carriages. Nearly half an hour later, the sun began rising and I was half a way through my painting. A few birds tapping on the window and a few chirping in the distance woke Grace up and she slowly sat up yawning. Her hair looked messy and in a groggy tone, she asked me what I was doing.

"Just the usual." I replied

"I can see that, but you never wake up so early." She said rubbing her sleepy eyes.

She was right. I never wake up this early or should I say, I never wake up unless someone wakes me up. Unfortunately, she knows me too well.

I shrugged in response and continued what I was doing.

Afternoon came at the speed of light. Father was gone to his forge at the main street of the village. His shop being in the central commercial area helped attracting young knights to buy armor. I was given the duty to bring his supper today, since, Grace was busy baking something for her friend's birthday.

I picked up my scarf and got ready to deliver the meal and as soon as I opened the door a familiar face greeted me with a toothy grin.

"O beauty,
Till now I never knew thee. Hear my soul speak: The very instant that I saw you, did My heart fly to your service." Florian quoted bowing in front of me and I giggled.

"What do I owe the pleasure for thee to come to my humble abode My lord? I asked mockingly and he snorted laughing out loud.

"How was your trip to the capital? Did you get the information you were looking for?" I asked Florian, who was walking with me side by side on our way to Summerstown. The smile on his face got replaced by an expression of disappointment.

"You found nothing?" He shook his head in clear agony.

Florian was raised in a shabby orphanage of our town since the age of 6. He never knew the name of his parents or who they were. Even the name 'Florian' was something given by an elder nun. Eventually the orphanage went poorer and children were forced to work outside at a young age. Florian started working at my father's forge when he was 11, him and I have known each other since then. Florian was always obsessed with his parentage and now that he was a grown man, he decided to investigate things on his own and ended up visiting the capital to find out whatever he could.

"It's like looking for a needle in a pile of hay. Every time I think I'm close to finding something, every thing starts to fall apart and I end up empty handed." He said without looking at me, may be he was afraid that I'd see the pool of water in his saddened hazel eyes. But I could still see it. I was disappointed at myself. Someone I cherish was in agony and I could do nothing. Nothing but sympathize and encourage.

"Next time, we will go together and I'm sure we'll find out anything and everything we can." I smiled.

"I will be honored to have your companionship, my lady." he said smiling back and we continued our way towards the forge.

I soon returned after running some errands in the town. I bought some meat for the dinner and a few brushes and paint for myself. I handed the meat to mother and ran upstairs to complete my unfinished painting.

Grace heard my footsteps and asked me pointing a finger at the painting, "who is he? I never saw him in town."
I walked inside, "Neither did I."
She looked confused.
"I saw him yesterday. I think he was waiting for someone."
I sat on the bed, my back towards her pretending to be not interested in the topic.
"Then why are you painting him so vividly?" She asked folding her arms.

"Don't you think you are too nosy and inquisitive for your age? You should focus on learning how to bake before you get a suitable marriage proposal."
I said while trying to hide my smile.

"I'm never talking to you again." She stomped out of the room angrily. She will surely complain about this to mother and now I have to go coax her before she tells everyone about this.

So I got up from the bed and walked out hurriedly following her steps.