10] Jealousy

Gloria's pov...

The last few days have been the best days of my life. The way I got appreciated by people of not only my town but also the capital. I was ecstatic. This was even better than what I ever imagined. and I could see my dream getting nearer by each passing day. I already had a few pre orders of some aristocrats and nobles for paintings and an invitation to an aristocratic party.

The last few days passed by in a whim and it was the morning of the last day of Spring festival.

I woke up with a fluttery feeling inside my stomach. However, I had the least idea that, that day would change my life forever.

.....................

"Here." Grace handed me a bottle of water.

It was early afternoon and we landed the grounds with a few leftover paintings.

Florian and father left for some urgent work. During the last five days, I met Arden an awful lot of times. He saw my work and bought a few pieces too. We talked and got to know each other more. Arden is a very kind and funny man, unlike his brother. He acted like a gentleman whenever we spent time together. It won't hurt to say that we became friends in such a short period of time.

Arden was unusually late today. Afternoon passed and people started to leave. After all when he showed himself in the crowd, he was not alone. Edmund and lady Charlotte were walking beside him and they all were coming towards us.

Arden came forward and greeted me with a bright smile and introduced me to his brother and lady Charlotte.

"Brother. This is Miss Gloria. Remember we met at the capital?" He said grinning. 

Edmund's cold blue eyes stared right into mine. He was wearing a dark navy coat and a white shirt underneath. Although I could see dark circles under his eyes, as if he did not sleep for a fortnight, it did not do anything to hide his handsomeness.

His scent felt so captivating, as if I am standing in a wild forest after a night long rain. He still has the same effect on me which makes me so ashamed and angry at myself. I want to hate him, but I cannot deny that I feel butterflies in my stomach whenever he's near.

I bowed myself and then introduced Grace.

"Are these made by you?" Lady Charlotte came towards a painting and asked.

"Yes my lady." I said humbly.

"Gloria is the best painter in the town." Arden chimed and I gave him a shy smile. He looked at me and bit his lower lip, "she is a talented and ambitious lady." he smiled adoringly, "not to mention beautiful."

"But these do not look so impressive. Do they my lord?" Catherine said turning her heavily powdered face towards Edmund.

Edmund looked at the paintings one by one studying them intently and then turned to look at me. "They Indeed are beautiful. Such talent is rarely seen among commoners." he said and lady Charlotte's face contorted in displeasure.

"Why, then I assume you might've not met many commoners in your life My Lord." I said smugly.

"Is there a reason for him to be involved with peasants?" Lady Charlotte smirked with arrogance.

"There is, my lady." I said

"And that is?"

"You stay humble and thus treat people with respect." I said moving my eyes to meet Edmund's. While he stared at me with a straight face.

Lady Charlotte was at a loss for words and tried hard to keep an emotionless face. Grace was shaking beside me and when I looked at her, I saw her trying to suppress her giggle.

In an attempt to break the silence, Arden cleared his throat and announced their cue to leave.

Edmund was still staring at me intensely. And for the second time in my life, I was feeling conscious of myself.

Lady Charlotte noticed his stare. She came closer and looped her hands into his and successfully seized his attention.

"It has been such a long day, my lord. My feet are so numb." She cried slightly pouting her red seductive lips.

"Could you please ask the coachman to bring our carriage here? She asked, forcibly pushing her body close to his, which sparked a tiny flame of jealousy inside me. She's like a delicate heavenly flower. Her face so lovely that any girl could only dream of ever having and that includes me.

I clenched my fist and looked away.

Edmund seemed to notice my unusual reaction. He retreated his hand from her hold and stepped away. "I will tell the coachman to get the carriage." he said and then looked at Arden, who was talking to Grace. To which Arden nodded silently.

The carriage arrived near my stall. Arden ordered the coachman to keep it a few meters away. Meanwhile, Me and Grace became busy packing our belongings.

We said our goodbyes and before anyone could get on the carriage, one of the horses suddenly went frantic. Everybody else moved backwards. The coachman fell down from his seat and the horse started running wildly. My attention went to the chaos and I saw the horse coming towards me.

I heard Grace and Arden yelling at me from a distance. But I was frozen in place. My mind stopped working and I started to shake in fear. The horse got closer and closer and I just stood there staring at it. When it was mere feet away, I tightly closed my eyes. But instead of the lightning strike I thought I'd feel, I felt someone pull me haphazardly to the other side.