7] Spring Festival

Me and Florian returned to Summerstown that evening. We said our goodbyes and I went inside the house. After having dinner and a few chit chat about our little adventure with mother and father, I went straight to my room to rest my fatigued body.

As soon as I entered my room, I saw a painting sitting behind the wardrobe and all the memories came back flooding.

"IT IS MY LORD FOR YOU! HAAH. What an arrogant and conceited man.
Never judge a book by its cover, Gloria." I lifted the painting and laid it down on the bed. I observed his silhouette, he looked so glorious, not a hint of narcissism nor a frown on his face.

I then picked up a bottle of black paint nearby and poured it straight onto his face. Impulsive much? Yes It was, but felt like a small relief. I had no use of it now. It was just a tool of deception, taking people into a daydream without having met with the reality.

I slept peacefully that night, his face now erased from not only my painting but also from my mind and memories.

...........

The next few days passed in a blink, with the whole town being busy with preparation of the festival. I was fully prepared to make my official debutante as an artist. That is what I like to call it.

Morning of 1st day of the Spring festival.

"Ria..make haste, dear. We are getting late." Father called from downstairs.

"Dear Lord...., I am utterly distressed by this girl's constant unpunctuality." Mother added.

I ran downstairs with one hand on my hat to keep it in place and a pouch in another. A big wagon waited outside for us.
Florian helped us load the baggage into the wagon and soon him, father and myself departed to the town.

The rattling of the wagon was soon replaced by a loud chatter of people. We got out of the wagon.

Loads of stalls were lined one after another. The whole area was decorated with colorful tents and banners.

I inhaled the delicious aroma of chocolate breadsticks and my stomach growled, reminding me that how my lazy self woke up late and did not get to have breakfast. Florian chuckled from beside me and I looked down out of embarrassment.
"Wait here. I will bring something to eat." He said and left.

He returned after a while with a bag full of garlic bread and a few muffins. After eating some, I felt a relief wash over my body, and felt more energetic than before.

It was 10 in the morning and the crowd started to gather. We managed to set up my stall in the artistry section, which was fortunately, near to the front gate.
Father left to talk to some of his old friends from work leaving me and Florian alone to take care of the belongings. I sat on a nearby chair, restlessly tapping my left foot while observing the surrounding.

"Don't be so nervous. Everything will be alright." Florian looked down towards me and smiled.

I smiled back. "What would I do without you."

"That is why I persisted on coming with you, did I not? Now, take a deep breath..."

I left a sigh of relief and did what was told obediently.

For the first few hours, people passed by my stall, some taking notice and complementing my work while some made unkind remarks. But nobody bought anything.

In the distance, I noticed a female figure waving at me and after looking carefully, I recognized her.

"Catherine ..! It is wonderful to see you again." I ran ahead and threw my arms around her.