6] First meeting

"Here you are young man!" Mayor Smith addressed Florian, who was now a few steps ahead of me and Arden.
"Meet Sir Edmund Frost. He is the eldest son and heir to Marques Frost."

My heart skipped a beat when I heard that name again. It instantly started galloping like a mad horse as soon as I laid eyes on him. That mysterious man I first saw under the maple tree. I was stunned and ogling at him with my eyes as wide as saucers.

There he stood, intimidatingly tall and the usual cold expression on his face.

"Pleasure to meet you." Florian's voice interrupted my thoughts.

Edmund's eyes travelled to me and he smiled. My breath hitched. Never have I ever seen such a strikingly beautiful smile.
My daydream instantly shattered when he passed by me. I came to my senses and saw him going towards Arden. He hugged him and patted his back. Now I know where I heard that name. Arden Frost. He is Edmund's brother. Which means, he's a noble.
They both talked for a minute and Arden walked towards me.
"Brother. Meet Miss Gloria Browne." He introduced me. "Miss Browne. This is my elder brother, Edmund."

"Pleasure to meet you, Sir Frost." I calmly said and did a commoner courtesy that my mother taught me.

"It is 'My Lord' for you." He replied in a monotonous voice and My heart shattered into million pieces.

"Now, If you will please excuse us, Mayor Smith. Me and my brother have an urgent business to attend to." He added and left, walking over the broken pieces of my heart and my self esteem.

I straightened myself up, eyes brimming with tears. Never in my life did I feel so humiliated before. I clenched my teeth and suppressed my emotions.

I saw him exit through the door. Arden turned around waving goodbye to me with an apologetic look on his face. Edmund looked at him, "You should acquaint yourself with ladies of similar status, Arden." I heard him saying at a distance.

The meeting at the Advertising office came to an end.

"There's a place I want to show you." Florian said after we exited the building. 
"I doubt I can visit any more places today Florian. I'm tired. Let's return home." I pleaded with a saddened look. 
"What? No... It's still afternoon. We have a whole day ahead. We can't just leave now after coming here together for the first time Ria." He whined.

"Huff....Alright. Let's go." I said in defeat. 

"And Meanwhile, tell me where did you disappear off to?" He said in a more serious tone, the earlier frivolity on his face was nowhere to be seen. " And I want each and every detail about your little escapade."

I slightly chuckled and started explaining. 

"So I was staring out of the door when I spotted a man selling candy floss and...."

~~~~~

"What in the name of God is this place?" I said. My mouth agape and eyes sparkled out of delight.  

"It is the largest art gallery in the empire. Containing around 50,000 best art pieces from all over the continent." Florian replied looking at the enormous structure in front and then sneaking a glance at me. A proud smirk decorated his thin lips and a few blonde strands of his hair shined like gold. Why did I never notice how magnificent his hair looked in the sunlight. 

"I have no words to describe how fascinating it is. This is..just......." My face now mimicking his contagious smile. 
"Oh Florian, you are the most amazing friend anyone could ever ask for." I said tearing my gaze away from him. 

"Friend." He mumbled and his smile disappeared. 

"Hmm??" I turned my head questioningly. 

"Do you plan to spend your entire day just standing here?.... Come along." He gestured me to follow. "It will take you hours to see everything at the very least." His smile returned and so did my.