3] Realisation

Next day, the painting was finished and I stared at my work pleased with the final result. This was one of my best works of the last couple of years and anyone would be ready to buy it at a glance. But I decided otherwise, I am going to keep it for myself.

Later that day, I had to deliver a custom painting somebody ordered to make. It was complicated and took me three whole days to complete, although the money they offered was plenty but it was too stressful to get everything as demanded. Thankfully, the atmosphere was less colder that day.
I carefully wrapped the canvas with a brown paper and left the house to get it delivered.

On my way to the delivery, I met Mrs. Gibbs who lives a mile down the main street. Mrs. Gibbs was an old lady who lived alone. She used to work at a noble's house as a maid and now she was retired to get some rest. She is the one who taught me and Florian how to read and write since we do not have a school in our town, not even for elementary level education. Me and Florian used to secretly visit her to learn everyday and she always welcomed us without a single complaint.

"Good afternoon Mrs. Gibbs. how have you been doing lately?"

"A very good afternoon to you too, my dear." She replied smiling brightly at me. "Just the usual knee pain, my dear. Inconveniences of getting older." She laughed.

"May be you should consider getting a house worker for your daily jobs Mrs. Gibbs. That will do better for your health. Or I can come help you sometime." I said

"Why, thank you for the offer, Ria, but I do not wish to burden you with my work and you already have much to do, but I will surely consider getting a house worker." She replied.

"Alright Mrs. Gibbs. I'll take my leave now, I have to deliver this. Have a great day." I gestured at the package in my hand and waved goodbye.

"Good day to you too, dear." She waved back and went inside.

After walking for 10 to 15 minutes, I finally reached my destination. Before I could enter through the gate, I saw someone leaving. There was a carriage standing outside the house. As I stopped walking, the man turned around and looked at me for a brief moment. I was stunned to do anything, It was the same man I saw two days ago, the same man whose silhouette was plastered on the canvas in my room. He was wearing a brown coat and a white shirt underneath. He held a briefcase in one hand and a black round hat in another. My breath shallowed out of nervousness With an aloof face he turned around, stepped into the carriage and rode away.

I subconsciously started to check my clothes and face in a nearby water puddle formed by the melted snow. My hair was a mess, red, blue, green swatches of paint decorated my skirt. Heavens! I had some on my nose too. What a fantastic first impression Gloria!"

I pushed the embarrassment back in the corner of my mind and focused on the task ahead. I knocked on the door, and a maid opened it. She told me to sit on the settee until somebody comes to collect the package and do the payment. After a few minutes, a rich looking lady entered the lounge. She was walking slowly and elegantly, her lovely gown flowing behind adorned with laces and frills. God knows I haven't seen such a beautiful gown in my life.

"Is the painting ready?" She asked snatching my attention from her dress to her face.

"Ah, yes! It is ready, my lady. Here." I handed her the painting. She took it and immediately tore the paper apart.

"It's lovely. The mayor did not lie, when he said you are the best in the entire town." She said examining the work. "How much were you promised?" She asked eyes now turning to me.

"yes..? ah, 100 silvers." I stuttered and she instantly handed me a pouch full of coins. "It's too much" I spoke looking into the pouch.

"Keep it. It's a reward for your hard work." She smiled and I thanked her in response.

"May I ask you something?" I said hesitantly. "I didn't mean to intrude, but who was the person that came here before me?" I continued after getting her nod of approval.

"Oh, the young man?" She put the painting on a nearby chair and made herself comfortable on the day bed. "He is the eldest son of Marquess Elias Frost. Sir Edmund."

My heart stopped beating and something crashed inside me. "A noble?" I mumbled under my breath. Too stunned to speak anything I swallowed a lump in my throat.

"Why did you want to know, may I ask?"

"I-.. I was just curious, that is all." I fake smiled gulping harder than before.

"Trust me girl, You need not concern yourself with the likes of him. He is too arrogant to even look at a commoner." She stood up and left the room.

The journey back home was all in a daze. My mind was too occupied to think of anything else. He is a noble. I should've known. The way he was dressed, his one pair of attire would feed my family for weeks. A marquess's son and an arrogant one at that.

As soon as I arrived home, I ran upstairs and collapsed on my bed. I hid my face in the pillow pondering over my foolishness and credulity. How could I get myself carried away. I have to stop thinking about him, I can't. But I have to.
"He is too arrogant to even look at a commoner."
Those words echoed in my head again and again.

Slowly sleep overtook my fatigued body and I fell asleep. When I opened my eyes it was dark outside.
Much darker than the darkness now residing in my heart. The darkness of disappointment. The darkness of realisation of my ordinary existence.