Chapter 21- Secrets

I had forgotten that fall break had approached, so I didn't need to worry about school for an entire week. This gave me more time to lounge around, though Belle had made an effort to keep me out of the house. I had to appreciate the thought, but she was very persistent and it bothered me a little.

Maybe I was only bothered because I was something Ben would do.

That Tuesday, Belle invited me out with Nora and her.  We went bowling, which was a lot of fun. Belle had muttered something along the lines of "Peter is out with his boyfriends again." Afterward, we headed to a place for lunch. I offered to pay for my own meal, yet Belle had insisted that she was treating us.

"I have a job, okay? I have the money to spoil whoever I want," Belle huffed.

"I know," I said, "but I feel bad."

Nora giggled. "Belle isn't going to let you pay, just accept it."

I jokingly pouted and slouched in my seat. We were sitting in a booth, next to a window. I sat on one side while Belle and Nora sat on the other. I watched outside the window as I watched people walk on by. There was nothing interesting happening, so I pulled my eyes away from the window to focus on what Belle and Nora were chatting about. That was until I noticed two people fighting outside, just outside of Belle and Nora's field of vision.

They weren't physically fighting, but they were clearly arguing about something. I thought I recognized the two. I squinted my eyes, hoping to make out their faces. And I did recognize the two.

But they were not who I expected.

Peter and Mike.

I silently gasped before immediately darting my eyes away from the window. Thankfully, Belle and Nora didn't seem to notice my concern. I thought Peter hated Mike, Ivan, and James. So why was he talking to Mike? 

It was clear that they were yelling at each other about something. So maybe they didn't like each other after all. Still, I found it weird that Peter had avoided spending time with Belle today, only for him to be around Mike. Why was he with Mike?

Were they friends with each other? Or was this some crazy coincidence? 

I already didn't like Mike. I knew deep in my gut that he somehow had a hand in Ben's murder. My stomach churned at the reminder, as the image of Ben's decomposing leg flashed in my head again.

"...so what about you, (Y/N)?"

I snapped out of my thoughts and looked at Nora, who had spoken.

"Sorry, what?" I asked, embarrassed.

"I was just asking if you've seen Supernatural."

"Oh," I mumbled. "No, I haven't."

Nora gasped and threw her hands on the table. "Uncultured!"

Nora went on a rant about a show called Supernatural, about two brothers who hunt monsters and ghosts. I was only half listening, because I was still thinking about what Peter and Mike were arguing about.

I didn't have a good feeling about it.

After a few minutes, our food came out and I was barely able to eat it. Belle took notice of this and patted my arm. 

"Hey, are you okay?" she asked with a face of concern.

I looked up from my food and plastered a smile on my face. "Yeah! I'm just not that hungry, I ate a lot of snacks at the bowling alley."

Belle looked slightly relieved. "Okay, that makes sense. We can ask for a to-go box when we leave, if you want."

"Sure."