Chapter 4: The Root of All Sin

The ball continued on without incident. The guests conversed, wished James a happy birthday, and talked about the beautiful summer that was to come. Anne Quincy's beauty was the talk of the ball, as was the current state of singularity that Robert Quincy flaunted. Girls eligible for marriage giggled whenever he strode by, and one even made a very explicit move to speak with him. Needless to say, he brushed her off like she was nothing but a speck of dust on his shoulder.

Malia didn't know what was going on upstairs but, while she was helping out with the final touches on the dinner, Brandon came downstairs to summon her. He looked flushed, as though he was ready to collapse and his arm was flopping by his side, almost lifeless.

"Mrs. Boatwright is asking for you in the drawing room," he said. Looking slightly dead in the eyes.

Malia frowned, fingers covered in custard. "For what?"

"She didn't say, only that it was urgent. You better hurry."

Still frowning, Malia quickly washed her hands and wiped them down while rushing up the stairs and taking the back hallways towards the drawing room, avoiding the guests in the process. She almost ran into a couple kissing in the dark corner of the corridor, and had to detour quickly before she stepped into it. Turning towards the drawing room, she braced herself before placing her hand on the knob.

But then she heard voices and paused. It was Mrs. Boatwright and a woman whose voice she didn't recognize. Taking a step back, Malia wondered if she should continue through the door or turn and walk away. She needed to obey Mrs. Boatwright and show her face in the drawing room, she knew that, but something in her gut told her to not go in there, or everything would fall apart.

At the sound of Mrs. Boatwright's raised voice, Malia winced and almost turned and ran. But when she heard what was being said, she stepped closer to the door and leaned in.

"I know who you are, but I cannot and will not allow you to insult me in my own home!"

"I insulted your servant, not you!"

"Malia is family," Mrs. Boatwright said. "Insulting her is insulting to me, to my husband, and to the man who saved his life."

Mrs. Boatwright was talking about Malia's father, who had saved Mr. Boatwright's life a long time ago in India, when Malia had been a little girl. She knew the story well. Whoever was in there, insulting her and speaking to Mrs. Boatwright that way, clearly had something personal against Malia,
and she had to find out what it was. She didn't want Mrs. Boatwright to go through the trouble of defending her if she was capable of doing it herself, to her own extent.

Knocking gently, Malia pushed the door open and cleared her throat. "You summoned me, Mrs. Boatwright?"

Mrs. Boatwright turned to face her, and her irritated expression quickly shifted to a calm one. "Malia, please, come in."

Malia did as she was told and closed the door behind her. But when she turned back to approach Mrs. Boatwright, she paused upon seeing who else was in the room. It was the tall, blonde, beautiful, and stoic Mrs. Abigail Quincy, and she had the look of pure murder in her eyes.

"I-is something the matter?" Malia asked, feeling her nerves spike and heart race. Did she know that the Magistrate had approached her in the gardens? That had been beyond her control! He had been lost; surely Mrs. Quincy didn't think that he had actively sought her out!

"Malia..." Mrs. Boatwright held out a hand to her. Malia rushed forward to stand next to her mistress. All the while Mrs. Quincy watched her with ice-like eyes. "Mrs. Quincy has something to ask you. I want you to be honest with her in your answer."