Chapter 31: The Scars Left Behind

**TRIGGER WARNING: There is a mention of a noose in the final part of this chapter, implying suicide. This is a warning to anyone who may be sensitive to this content!**

XXX

Brandon had to wait a week before attempting to get the note to the Magistrate. It went successfully, and he managed to perform the task undetected, but there was still enough tension in the air to make him feel as though he hadn't done enough.

A dead body had been found on Dawn-Bridge grounds, the man Malia had killed to save herself. He had been identified as Roger, a footman that used to work for the Quincy home. Now the house was in an uproar. Malia was gone, a dead body was found on the grounds, the whole thing was starting to look very suspicious. Oddly, though, nobody suspected her. No one assumed it could have been her that killed the footman, it looked too much like a suicide, his hand had been on the hilt of the knife. But that still didn't answer all the questions.

"I heard he was suspected for killing that poor girl in the market," Jane was saying. "But then whyever would he take his life here of all places?"

"Maybe he's a mad man," another maid suggested. "Maybe he was coming here to kill a few more serving girls, probably heard the Magistrate coming to catch him, and took his own life."

"But then how did the Magistrate know to come here?"

"Perhaps someone tipped him off?"

"Who?"

"How in the world would I know?"

Jane pouted. "And on top of all of this, Malia is gone. I miss her, why did she leave?"

"Wouldn't you?" A footman grunted. "She was attacked and had to be sheltered until Denning was taken away. He's going to be hanged soon, you know. Perhaps she'll return after."

"No, she gave her notice," Jane mumbled. "I heard Melinda and Mrs. Boatwright talking about it. They're going to announce it to everyone else when this mess blows over."

"Well, I still do not blame her. She probably doesn't feel safe here anymore."

"Why not? She has friends here to protect her!"

"Jane, you weren't attacked that night," the footman sighed. "I suppose... If it doesn't happen to you, you don't know how it is."

Silence fell after that. Brandon had not said a word throughout the whole thing. He wondered if Malia had made it, but then realized that the distance was great. Was she well? Was the baby well? God, he wished he had gone with her, to see her safely off. But his absence would have been noted.

That doesn't mean that I'd have to return here. I promised Malia that I'd find a better life for myself. Maybe it's time to start thinking ahead.

But what could a poor footman accomplish? What could he possibly do with the little means that he had? He had nowhere to go once he gave his notice. He had nothing to his name. Perhaps the chance would come, only later. He had to be patient.

He thought, then, of the Magistrate. Had he received the note? What could he be thinking?

Often the temptation to tell him everything I know is great. He deserves to know about his child, but it isn't for me to say. I wish there was more I could do.

Perhaps there would be. Again, he just had to be patient, and bide his time.

XXX

My love,