Chapter 5: The Case of Forbidden Fruits

They were all giving her odd looks the next day.

Malia felt like an exhibit of sorts, where people observed her every move as though the next thing she would do would answer everything for them. Of course, she didn't feed such beliefs; she had no intentions of making a spectacle. If anything, she made light of the situation, and acted as if everything was perfectly normal.

That morning, she cleaned up the torn shreds of paper from behind her cot, and didn't think twice when she tossed it all away. The more she acted as if her life wasn't spiraling down hill, the better she felt about whatever she had to do to keep up that façade.

Still, Malia often thought of the note, and she wondered if she acted too rashly in tearing it up. There was the smallest possibility that the Magistrate had written it but, after such a falling out with his wife, could Malia even entertain that idea? And how could he have known the words that were exchanged in that room and then go on to say that he did not think the same things as his wife? Unless she had told him? No... No, he did not write that note, she was right to tear it apart.

And even if he had, she was still right to do it.

He was a married man, a Magistrate! She often heard of men being unfaithful to their wives, and such stories were rare at that, but she had never thought a man of the law like the Magistrate would stoop so low as well. That was why the idea that he had written the note was beyond comprehension to her. He was a man who enforced the law and punished anyone who broke it. Why would he himself break it?

But was it against the law for a man to be unfaithful to his wife? It was a sin, to be sure, Malia knew that much, but what of the law of the land? Were they one and the same, the law in the holy book of these people and the law set forth by the justice? Did it matter?

It was not her faith, but Malia was not going to take part in a sin. If the Magistrate had written the note-doubtful as it was-she would ignore it. Perhaps it would vanish, as all fleeting feelings did. She had only met the man twice, how could he feel so strongly about her? Had they had such time to fester? It was impossible, so she would treat it as so, and move on.

Mrs. Boatwright did not summon her for the whole day, something that caused Malia to worry. Was she angry with her? Had she done or said something wrong? Perhaps she blamed Malia for the near-scandal that Abigail Quincy would have set on the house. Malia did not blame her, but still she oped that that was not the case. She had never intended for scandal, surely Mrs. Boatwright knew that!

All of those thoughts vanished when Melinda came to Malia an hour after she had finished clearing up the rest of the dead flowers from the vases on the windowsills.

"Mrs. Boatwright wants you to head down to the market," Melinda handed Malia a list of items to purchase, and a small coin purse. "You're to go with Jane, and return before noonday meal. Little James wants strawberries; bring twenty, if you can. Basil too, and..."

On and on Melinda listed every item that was clearly written down on the paper. But Malia patiently listened with a smiling face. And when Melinda was done, Malia moved quickly to join Jane at the main doors. The young woman looked excited to go on the outing. The fact that it was a chore didn't faze her, nor did the time constraint. They had four hours until noonday meal, and the cook still had to prepare the strawberries the way James liked them: sliced, no leaves, with cream.

"What a beautiful day, isn't it?" Jane sighed as the two women strode down the steps and made for the main gates. "Going to the market is awfully exciting."

"It is?" Malia frowned. "I've always found it a bore. Lumbering from vendor to vendor and store to store in the heat..."

"Speak for yourself, Mrs. Boatwright always wants you to go with her to the market. Of course you would find it boring after a thousand trips. I, however, am never asked to go!"