Chapter 13: Innocent Man on the Run

The days following what had occurred that night Malia tried her best to keep to herself. She didn't know what to do about what she had heard, but it was eating away at her constantly, like a constant itch that wouldn't go away no matter how much she scratched it. She tried to distract herself with small things, just as before, like chores and such, but this time was bigger than the last. This was bigger than her... A scandal like this could ruin John's family.

A double scandal like this more like.

No, Malia had to keep her mouth shut, for him. She cared for John deeply, and didn't want to see him hurt in any way by this. But she couldn't fix it. If Abigail knew that Malia was the one who had witnessed the whole charade between her and Arthur Denning, murder would not be far from the woman's mind. She had to tell someone, though, or this would egg away at her forever. But who? Mrs. Boatwright? Jane? Brandon?

No one?

A secret like this would erode her, she knew it. She couldn't look at John the same after this. He was being unfaithful to his wife with her, and she was being unfaithful to him with another. There were so many things wrong with this whole situation, and Malia almost hated that she was in the middle of it. If this came out... What would happen to her? So far no one knew of her nightly excursions with John, so he would be safe from any fallout, but should she keep it that way and leave him all together? He would probably suspect something amiss if she did.

No, she was too far into this. She had to think this through calmly, with a good degree of logic.

Abigail Quincy with Arthur Denning... Malia knew little to nothing about the man other than the fact that John was trying to catch him and he was Bertha Denning's brother. She knew nothing of his crimes or his past, but now she felt as though she knew more than she needed to. How long since they had started seeing one another? How long had the woman gone behind her husband's back?

And he's so innocent?

Malia's next meeting with John was two days away. If she could only stall that for a little while longer just to see what she should do. Two days wasn't enough time...

She had received a note from him a day ago, delivered to her while she was in the market with Jane, picking up some fresh tomatoes. His words had made it harder for her to decide on whether or not to stall.

Malia,

I can hardly wait to see your face again, love. These days grow longer and longer every moment I am not with you. I hope you haven't forgotten about me, as I know you have not left my mind since I first saw you.

You are the light in my darkest hours, remember that.

Yours always,

John

She felt it too, the strain of not being able to see him. It weighed down on her like a large boulder. She kept imagining his smile, feeling his touch, and his kiss on her lips. She wanted to see him again, but not when her mind was so clouded and her thoughts were completely askew with how to rectify the mess she was in. It wasn't her mess, but she knew of it, so hiding it was making her feel like a criminal of sorts.

It's not for me to tell. It's for Abigail to tell John. It's their issue, not mine, I'm just there because... Well...

Because she was meeting with Abigail's husband at night, and their relationship was flourishing at rapid speeds.

Would it be the same as telling him if she left small hints that directed him towards the truth? She didn't have to out and out tell him, but she didn't have to hide it from him either. Abigail didn't deserve happiness, that foul woman could burn in Hell for all Malia cared, but how this would affect John was her concern. That was all she cared about right now.