Chapter 26: Who to Tell the Secrets and Lies

New Orleans, Louisiana, 1850

The day was waning on now. Dinner had been served not long ago, and now the two men were taking a walk down in Dorsey's garden. They smoked a pair of expensive cigars that Dorsey had pulled out from his storage, and felt the humid air of the gulf blow over them as they strolled on.

"People asked me why I moved to New Orleans... They said it was a failing hellhole of a society, and there was nothing here but bad weather and the stench of smoke. I thought they mistook it for Manchester."

Ronald laughed. "All I know is that if I ever had a reason to leave Louisiana, I would find twenty more reasons to stay."

"I know I have many reasons to leave, Malia being one of them," Dorsey sighed. "I have always wanted to find her, to see if she was alright. And to see her son, of course."

"Do you think he has grown to look like his father?"'

"I like to imagine he has his father's height and face, but at least something significant from his mother. Many a women will be throwing themselves at him, that much is for sure."

Ronald smirked. "You said in your letter that you held me to a high enough esteem to tell me this story, Dorsey... May I ask why?"

"You may, and I will," Dorey turned to look at him. "But for the time being, I will say that this is the sort of story that demanded to be told, and you were the right man to tell it to."

"And what an honor it is that you chose me," Ronald said. "This story... This tale... I can't even imagine how it was to witness it."

Dorsey didn't reply to that, only stared off in the distance. He knew that there was nothing he could say that could explain how it really was to witness this tale. It was no mystical thing to see the look on Malia's face that night... God, that night.

He would never forget it.

XXX

Lanfore, Hertfordshire, 1823

Addison was pacing the kitchen, her heart in a constant flutter. Her mind was racing a mile a minute and she wanted to vomit. After what happened in the prison, she didn't know how to function. Her hands constantly broke out in nervous sweat, and when she spoke to anyone it came out as gibberish. It felt as though she had been hit by a stampede of horses and had the wind knocked out of her.

Lucy wasn't the Magistrate's daughter.

It was beyond comprehension. Addison didn't know what to do with that information. Who should she tell? Should she tell anyone at all? Perhaps Malia... But she was going to leave soon. Those wouldn't be decent parting words for a friend.

But God, she was going to lose her mind if she kept this too herself for too long.

Lucy Quincy... No, Lucy Denning!

Placing a hand over her heart Addison shook her head and muttered something under her breath about the impossibility of the situation.

"I'm going to explode," she whispered. "This is too much to handle. I have to tell someone!"

What am I going to do?

She had to tell someone or she would burst! Malia was the best option. At least she knew the girl wouldn't spread it about market like the rest of the women in this house would. She was leaving soon, yes, but not quite yet. If Addison hurried and said as much as she could with what little time she had, then she would have the receive she wanted, and she could trust Malia to remain quiet.