Chapter 2: Those Eyes

REGINA's POV

I drank my last glass of wine and gave it to Ali before I decide to get more. The alcohol helps to calm me down from my earlier encounter with De Leon.

"Regina gusto mo na bang umuwi?" Alok ni Ali sakin.

"In an hour. Kung gusto mo mauna ka. Kampihan mo pa si De Leon I'm getting deaf here." Pagtataray ko sa kanya. Why does he keep trying to convince me not to fire that girl?

"Magka-ano ano ba kayo that girl? Do you like her?" I glared hard at him.

"Hala ka. Nababaitan lang ako sa batang yun tsaka si Mara Fernandez nagpasok sa kanya dito. Mukha namang totoo sinasabi ni Narda tsaka tingnan mo oh, simula nung pumasok yan dito ni minsan di ka nagwala na out of place mga gamit mo sa office kahit minsan ang kalat mo."

That irritated me even more because it's partly true. I only leave the office at night when I'm tired and drunk enough to even check my mess.

"I am not that messy, Ali." I defended myself.

"And this," I raised the draft I've been looking over since this morning.

"THIS is a confidential file. Paano nalang kung lumabas sa bibig nyan about this? I've worked my ass just to get this from Ate Camille. If this reaches Robles I'll lose my chance."

Ali patted my shoulders, gently pushing me back so I leaned back on my chair while he sat back across from me.

"Kalma na. Narinig mo naman si Narda, di nya naiintindihan yan. Malay mo curious lang yung tao kasi sikat na sikat syempre MC Group."

I crossed my arms and turned away from him in annoyance. For some reason I still can't get rid the close up sight of those expressive eyes of De Leon. What's up with that?

Finally, I made a decision at humarap kay Ali na kanina pa looking expecting.

"Fine! Call her up first thing in the morning with my coffee para di pati mag-tsismisan mga nasa labas. I'll talk to her and make sure she'll shut that mouth of hers. Let's leave."

He smiled widely and gave me an arm hug, picking up my bag and briefcase before rushing out to prepare the car.
I still have to decide what to do with Xandra. Di ko talaga nagugustuhan performance nya lately and to think how casual she was not watching inside my office earlier when De Leon was cleaning. So careless.

The next morning, Ali knocked and opened the door. Pinapasok naman nya si De Leon who is holding my coffee. I signaled Ali to shut and guard the door as this is a very private matter.

"Sit down." I commanded without looking up.

"Kape po ma'am! Usual po." That voice and line again that I got used to. How can she still sound cheery?

So dense.

Umupo naman sya across from me and I looked away from my laptop to face her. Her eyes stares at me again like that. She should be concern lang naman dapat talaga kasi I threatened to fire her.

This is the first time I really took a look at her.

"Ma'am?"

"Hm?"

"Ma'am pasabik ka. Drum roll po ba?"

"Excuse me?" I exclaimed at mukhang nagulat din sya.

"Eh kasi ma'am ang tagal nyo na po ulit nakatingin. Ma'am pinagdala ko kayo ng puto din, para konting umagahan at peace offering po." She even slightly pushed the tray towards me.

I noticed the bite sized white rice cakes with what looks like cheese on top in a piece of banana leaf in a small plate. I glanced at her if she's seriously giving me these despite yesterday.
I never met anyone na sinigawan na ng sobra at nagdala pa ng gift the next day.