The Wedding

...AUTHOR'S POV...

As the sun set, its deep orange circle scattered golden hues throughout the sky. The sight was therapeutic and brought a sense of calm. The sky displayed an array of colors at different levels, with golden shades just above the horizon, pink hues slightly higher, pinkish purple tones above that, and finally, an infinite expanse of dark blue. The sun slowly sank lower, attempting to disappear behind the green of the distant coconut trees. It was the day of their wedding, the day they would become one and begin their actual contract, a day that would change their lives forever.

The color red is known for its intensity and can have different meanings depending on the context. It can signify danger, evil, and be associated with the devil himself. On the other hand, it can also represent love, passion, and the heart. However, today, the color red symbolized marriage. The mandap was decorated with translucent drapes in a subtle shade of red, while the holy fire pit was made of deep orange-red bricks. The garlands used mostly white flowers with occasional red ones to draw attention.

--HAARIKA'S POV--

I had no idea that sitting could be so exhausting. I've been in this uncomfortable chair for the past two hours, and the makeup application is still ongoing. I requested a natural makeup look, and the makeup artist is doing a fantastic job, but it's taking longer than anticipated. My hair has been styled into a tight bun with flowers, and I'm wearing a stunning red lehenga and blouse, complete with intricate golden thread work and embroidery. The dupatta has been draped tightly across the front like a sari's pallu, with one end tucked into the skirt's front. Additionally, a deep red chunari with zari work, which I received as shagun, has been fastened above my hair, which has been neatly tucked into a bun. A few strands of hair have been curled and left to hang close to my ear. The makeup artist applied crimson lip color to my lips with great care. I am wearing a set of red bangles on both hands, and there is a simple, tiny, traditional, circle-shaped bindi precisely between my eyebrows. Shades of red dominate the look.

As I stood with my father and brother holding the phoolon ki chaadar, the song began, and we made our way towards the main hall. Each step I took felt like a new beginning - a new life, family, home, and husband. My brother wiped away a tear as I held his hand, feeling overwhelmed by the change that was about to take place. Despite his efforts to hide his emotions, I could see that he was struggling. However, he gave me a small smile and gestured towards the stage where Maahir, my soon-to-be husband, was waiting for me, he appeared pleasing to my eyes in his outfit I swear this guy slays every look no matter what. He looked towards Samar intently before his gaze shifted to me, as if he was trying to see into my soul. My thoughts were interrupted by my brother's voice, asking "Aap apna khayal rakh logi na Di?". (Will you be able to take care of yourself sis?) Before I could respond, Maahir and said in his deep voice "Mein rakh lunga."(I will take care of her). As he took my hand and led me up the stairs, I could see the pride in my father's chest as he handed me over to my husband-to-be. Despite the outward appearances, only we knew the truth behind our marriage. As we stood together on the stage, Maahir wiped away my tears which had fallen unknowingly and whispered to me with a smile, "Ab agar ase hi dekhti rahogi toh pyaar hojayega mujhse"("If you keep looking at me like that, you'll fall in love with me.")

--MAAHIR'S POV--

As a young boy, I had always dreamed of having the perfect wedding by the shore. When I was a teenager, my mother used to tease me that she would love my future wife more than she loved me. I would jokingly protest and say I would never get married if that were the case. She would laugh and say we would see when the time came. Now, as an adult, I find myself preparing to marry someone I hardly know, feeling alone and disappointed or happy I don't know. What a terrible turn of events!