Chapter - 66

Karan called Avni around nine thirty. Her lights were still on which meant she hadn't gone off to sleep. She picked up her phone.

"Hello," she said softly.

"Hey," Karan said.

Avni hadn't expected him to call at all. And why did he sound serious? What if he hadn't liked the gift she had made? She bit her lip.

"Avni," Karan said, "I needed to talk to you can you come over," he said patiently, "I know it is kind of late but it is important," he told her.

Not sure what he wanted to talk about. He was giving her an option of saying no and she could take the hint from him that it was late and make it as an excuse. But he sounded almost forlorn. Sad. Was he upset with her gift? Oh God! What was she going to do? She had thought it would bring a smile to his face not make him upset. She should have gone with the jacket or something else. She and her emotions.

"It is raining outside," she said.

What had that got to do with anything?

"I know," he replied, "I am waiting outside your door with a rain jacket," he told her and that surprised her.

She rushed to the doors that opened into the side lawn. He stood outside with an umbrella over his head. Was he mad? It was pouring outside. Did he want another cold? Was it that important? Since he was here to escort her she better go with him. She clicked her phone shut. Then opened the door. He handed her his jacket. She wore it quickly without another word. Then closing the door walked with him towards his house. She was aware of the silent man who walked just a little to her side. What was he thinking? She was anyway never able to read him in full light how was she supposed to make anything of him in the darkness. As they reached his house another worry took over. What if aunty peeped in her room and not find her there? She stopped just outside his door. And he almost bumped into her. She turned around to ask when he answered her question for her.

"Mom knows you are here," he told her, "I made an excuse," he said and shrugged.

"She didn't ask," Avni asked curious to know what he had said that his mother had given him permission to bring her to his house.

"I told her the gift you gave me was having some trouble and I needed you to fix it," he said simply.

"And she bought that," Avni asked again worried.

"I have no clue. She said it was alright as long as you were escorted to and fro," he told her then opened the door and gestured for her to walk in.

She did hesitantly. Don and Kiser rushed to greet her prancing about. But one word from the man behind her sent them back to where they had been sitting before. Avni removed the wet jacket and hung it on the rack. He did the same and put the umbrella over the sink in the kitchen to dry off. She turned around. A fire blazed in the hearth and then her eyes widened. He had hung the family portrait she had made over the mantel. It looked just right hanging there. So if he hadn't liked her gift why had he hung it there? Maybe she had jumped the gun. Maybe Karan had liked the gift.

"Won't you sit down?" he asked quietly.

Avni was brought out of her musings as she realized she still stood by the rack she had hung the wet jacket on.

"Won't your floor get damp and rot because of the water?" she asked as drops fell on the wooden floor.

"No," he said, "that area specifically has a water resistant polish on it that repels water and stops it from getting under the wood hence preventing damage. One reason why the coat rack is kept right next to the door," he explained then gestured for her to sit on the couch.