Chapter - 88

Avni got out of the taxi as she quickly put her hands in her coat pocket. It was freezing and she had been insane to come here right after the storm. She had been lucky the roads had been cleared of the snow and the taxi could make it all the way to Manali and Karan's house. She will go to the main house later. It had been two months since she had left. Since she had seen him or even heard from him. And in these two months she had been depressed. She had realized how stupid she had been to leave the best thing that had ever happened to her. Yes, she had been independent and free but she had been miserable. For the first time she had had the chance to make a choice and she had made a wrong one. The biggest mistake she had ever made. She should have trusted her heart. She should have trusted the man who had loved her. She should have...she should never have left Manali. She slowly went towards the house with her luggage. The taxi had left. Once she peered inside she found it was empty. Wasn't Karan here? But Uday had told her he was always home on weekends. It was Friday evening. She could see the faint glow of a fire burning in the hearth and the smoke wafting through the chimney above the roof. So someone must have lit the fire and it couldn't be anybody else except the owner of the house. She sighed and then sat on the frozen chair. It was so cold outside. She pulled her coat closer to herself. And yet it wasn't as cold as her heart felt.

Uday was the only one who had kept in constant touch with her. Manya had initially refused to take her calls. And Avni couldn't blame her after all she had broken her big brother's heart. Nilakshi aunty had called her time to time just to see if she was doing okay. But she had never spoken about Karan or how he was doing. Riddhima had spoken to her occasionally too in fact she was grateful to the girl, it was because of her efforts that Manya had finally started texting her at least. She knew both the girls weren't here. They had gone to Jaipur for a trip. And Uday must be busy with Tej uncle, now that he had clubbed his business with his father's, expanding it. She waited for Karan to return. She could go to the main house and come back later. After all she hadn't told anybody she was coming back. She hadn't told the man either. And then she heard the barks. She turned her head as she watched Don and Kiser return. They were running towards her and from what she could make out they did seem exuberantly happy to see her. She was too. She had never known how much she would come to love the two furry creatures. She stood up and as they reached her they both rose on their hind legs to lick her face. What a reception she thought as she smiled and tried to calm the excited dogs. She hoped she could say the same for their owner who walked slowly up the stairs with a grim face. He had lost weight as she squinted her eyes to get a better look. His cheeks were more hollow than she remembered. And he sported a day old stubble which made him look rugged and dangerous. The lines around his eyes had increased too though his gaze was just as penetrating. What had he been doing to himself? Had he not taken care of himself at all? He walked right up to her and stopped. The dogs had calmed down considerably.

"How long have you been waiting here?" he asked grimly.

Avni almost cried as she heard his voice. It was the same authoritative, rude, rumbly noise she had heard the first time.

"Not very long," she answered as she stared at him. God, he was so beautiful. How she had missed him? She couldn't look away from the wonder his face was.

"It is very cold," he said and then walked to the door and unlocked it, then went inside. The dogs followed with their tails wagging behind them.

No hello, no hugs, no proper greeting. Avni felt her hopes dip. What had she expected? He hadn't even called her once while she had been in Nainital these past two months. And she had hurt him. She remembered the day she had left. As she had waved bye to Nilakshi, Tej and Uday she had seen him standing near the corner with Don and Kiser. He had stood there and watched her go without waving at her. Just a grim solitary figure. She had hated herself in that moment but she had wanted to do it and he had let her. She picked up her luggage and walked inside slowly then closed the door behind her. The house was warm and it felt nice to be inside. She kept her stuff near the door not sure if she would be leaving empty handed. Then took off her coat and hung it on the coat stand where he had removed his heavy jacket. She saw him as he moved around the kitchen pouring water for the dogs and some food in their bowls. He wore a dark grey high neck with jeans and as usual he was barefoot. It was warm in here maybe he didn't need to wear socks besides men did emanate more heat than women did. She walked across the space to stand near the huge island as he washed his hands in the sink.