(8)

After the Nikah, Fakhir was sitting on the stage with his friend Ahmed beside him when he heard a commotion and looked up.
The first thought which came in his mind, was to run... he couldn't believe what he was seeing. Aini dressed up as a bride... his bride (the mere thought making his insides all mushy) and she was being slowly led by his Amma and other ladies of the house towards him. Ahmed... smiling brightly, nudged him and Fakhir gave him a look which made all that smile fade away.

Aini almost stumbled while reaching the stage, if not for her Amma and Badi-Ammi she would have been on the ground. They reached the stage and Fakhir came forward to help her get on it. She looked at him and he gave her the most fake smile she had ever seen in her life.

.
.

Fakhir was genuinely tired because of the pomp and fuss going around him. The most annoying part were the instructions from the photographer... stand like this, smile like this... bhai banda bass bhi kar deta hai; and if Ahmed was not there with him... telling him to calm down every now and then, he would have done something...

Aini had no idea for how long she has to still like a statue and give fake smiles to everyone... just how many people have been called for the wedding... the whole backyard was filled with guest. One by one someone or the other came to give blessings to the 'newly-wed couple' and click pictures with them... and on top of that she was hungry and tired.

Just then she heard "Bohot Mubarak ho Aini" and her head jerked up so fast that she felt a pang on her neck.
She couldn't breathe for a second when she saw the familiar face of her classmate, Hamza.

It had completely slipped from her mind that he lives in her neighborhood and of course, the invitations were sent to everyone, so he would have come along with his paternal family. She looked around alarmed, but thankfully no one was there on the stage at the moment.

Fakhir also looked at Hamza, he knew him because of the cricket matches he played on the road with his friends and Hamza was always with the opponent team. He never liked his attitude, and he had no idea as to why Hamza had become more aggressive and arrogant for some days now.
However, he didn't understand how Hamza knows Aini, It's not like he has ever come to their house, then how... but before he could say anything, a girl also stepped forward and stood beside Hamza.

"Congratulations Aini and Fakhir." She smiled and hugged Aini.

"Thank you, Kiran." Aini said after composing herself. She looked at Fakhir and could see confusion in his eyes.
"This is Kiran and they live in our neighbourhood... and, umm... he is Hamza her cousin... and my classmate." She told him clearly.

Fakhir gave a look of surprise and stared at her for a second... and then nodded towards the two standing and went back to his usual self, talking with Ahmed.

______________________________________________________________________________

Hamza still remembers the day when he had first seen Aini, giving instructions about their upcoming school events in the class, looking all confident and sporting that beautiful smile of hers.
For him it was not love at first sight... but love at every sight; her aura and attitude were something everyone looked up to. She even had helped him when he was new in the school and how her notes which the teacher had given him, helped him so much during his initial days after his admission as a transfer student in the beginning of term.

But, never in this whole time she had looked at him the way he looked at her. For Aini he was just another classmate of hers... which she helped & sometimes this pained him... but, he knew that her plans for future and career was not like others; she has a vision and a dream which she wants to achieve. He himself had made this a point to study well and make a career and then... maybe in the future he could approach her and tell her what he feels for her.

However, destiny had planned long before he had and the play of fate has led him standing in front of the girl... whom he loved with all his heart. There she was, sitting dressed up as a bride... of someone else. His insides were twisting and turning painfully, making it clear to him that he has lost her... forever.

_______________________________________________________________________________

Aini who was now sitting in the middle of the bed with her lehnga all spread out, looked at the door for the second time trying to make sure that all the ladies have gone by now. She had requested them to let her change out of these extremely heavy & uncomfortable clothes and jewellery, but her Dadi had interjected in between, saying "Let Fakhir come and see his wife all dressed up him" and that phrase itself had made her feel a lot more uneasy from inside.

When she saw the coast clear, she almost jumped out of her place and got down struggling with her dress and quickly opened the cupboard, took out her clothes and made a run towards the bathroom to change.

.
.

While on the other part of the house, Ahmed was trying to save his life from his best friend... who looked scary to say the least.
"Fine... got it bro! I am not singing any song now. Stop looking at me like that and... ke... keep that flower pot back." He said backing away and felt a relief when he saw Fakhir's mother approaching them.

"Fakhir... Fakhir." Sameena called out "What are you doing here? Come on, go to your room and get rest... Aini would also be waiting for you... Go" she gave him a little push to make him move "and stop making faces like that... Ahmed beta, you should also go. It's quite late now." Sameena said and led Fakhir inside the house.

.
.

When Fakhir reached the room, he contemplated for solid two minutes to go inside or just go with Ahmed to his house. But obviously that can't happen & with nervous and jittery feelings, stepped inside.
He slowly looked up and saw the bed empty ... making him confused 'Where is she?' but the next moment only he heard the door being shut and turned to find Aini... all changed in a simple suit, standing in front of him.

________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you for giving your time to this story.

Do give your reviews and don't forget to vote.

See you all next time. Bye :)