(9)

In a room adorned with floral arrangements and soft lightening, the atmosphere should have been filled with warmth and joy. However, for this pair of newlyweds, the air was thick with tension and an awkwardness hung over them like a heavy cloud.

It felt like an hour have passed but in reality, they have been standing like that for a minute only, the distance between them was palpable, an unspoken reminder of their strained relationship.

Aini... knew she can't stand here the whole night and therefore, made a beeline for the bed. Fakhir, who was already exhausted thought it would be better if he just sleeps now and not think about anything else... and straight away went towards the washroom to get changed.

After getting free from the dress, jewellery and hair stuff... Aini felt a lot lighter and free than before, she sat on the bed fixing the pillows and was ready to lay down when she heard...

"You can't sleep there" Fakhir said, standing at the threshold of the door. Aini looked at him confused...

"What...?" she asked

"I said, you can't sleep there. It's my bed and my room. Get up and move to that sofa." he said, trying to be authoritative

Aini rose from the bed, her steps purposeful as she marched towards Fakhir, who had taken his place near the wardrobe.

"What do you mean by 'my room and my bed''? She asked with an arched brow, a hint of annoyance in her voice "I know your memory can be a bit selective at times, but Fakhir, just a few hours ago, we made things official... we got married! So, this room and this bed are just as mine as they are yours."

Fakhir looked at her for a second and then with crossed arms he said "So what... haan? Being m... married means that I'm now your, um, husband" struggling with his words "so, you have to listen to me. Like a good wife, just, um, you know... go and sleep over there. I'm not sharing my bed with you."

Aini gazed at him for a second, her expression unreadable... then she quietly turned and sauntered over to the bed and picked up the pillow.

Fakhir, satisfied that Aini was finally complying with his whims, was about to make his way to the bed when he felt something soft hit him with a surprising force. He looked up to find Aini, her fiery eyes fixed on him, and in her hands, the pillow she had just expertly launched at him.

"Are you mad?... What was that for?" Fakhir stepped forward, the proximity between them intensifying as he came face-to-face with Aini.

Aini's voice was firm, laced with simmering frustration. "I'm not mad, but... you're incredibly forgetful. I had already told you; don't you dare try to dictate or order me. So, don't even think about it. You go and sleep on that sofa, because I will not."

Unconsciously, both of them had moved closer to each other, and now they stood, well, close enough that only the pillow in Aini's hand separated them.

Fakhir could feel a headache building up already, and he reached for the pillow, attempting to take it from Aini's hand. But Aini, refusing to back down, held onto it with all her might, initiating a tug-of-war between them. With each passing moment, their verbal dispute intensified, and they found themselves locked in a battle of wills, with neither willing to yield.

The first swing was definitely from Aini... and Fakhir didn't take that pleasantly, making the pillow fight escalating quickly. It was not a game but a release of pent-up frustration, an unconventional background where their emotions found expression.

.

.

"Ti... Times; times" Fakhir said breathless, as he sat on the bed. 

After both of them called a truce; only the sounds of heavy breathing & panting could be heard. Both, Aini and Fakhir were sitting on the bed, tired and exhausted after a quite intense pillow fight between them; a pillow in each of their hands were the proof.

Aini took a few calming breaths and looked towards Fakhir, who was in the same state as hers... hair messed up, out of breath and sweat covered forehead.

"Listen" Aini said, after taking a deep breath "Uhh... I... I think, we should come up with some plan. This..." she gestured between her and Fakhir, indicating about what just happened "This can't go on."

Fakhir, who was fine now, nodded his head. "But what can we do?" he asked

"Well, umm... we can have alternate days set for each of us. One day you sleep on bed, next day I will. What do you say...?" Aini asked

"You're a real problem solver, aren't you?" Fakhir said after listening to Aini's idea

"Well, I try to solve the problems you keep creating" she retorted back

"Excuse me!" his eyes widened in utter shock

"Excused" she countered

"Hey..."

"Fakhir... can't we do this tomorrow? Ab toh tumhare sath hi hoon... puri zindagi" Aini cut off Fakhir mid-sentence by responding with a sharp, sarcastic reply

"Wow... so fun and exciting, Haina? aur haan... just make sure that this stays between us. I don't want Baba beating or scolding me again, I already had enough because of this whole shaadi." Fakhir replied to her with dry humour

"Okay, then... go." Aini said, while pointing her finger towards the sofa.

Fakhir looked at her and then the sofa, "why would I go there first? I am already so tired, let me sleep here today. Tomorrow I'll sleep on the sofa."

Aini took a deep breath to control herself and stretched her right hand towards Fakhir, who frowned at her and raised his eyebrows in question. Aini rolled her eyes and said "Let's play rock, paper and scissor... whoever wins; gets the bed."

_______________________________________________________________________________

So readers... who do you think will be the winner..?Aini or Fakhir 😄 
_______________________________________________________________________________

?Aini or Fakhir 😄  _______________________________________________________________________________

Thank you for giving your time to this story.

Do give your reviews and don't forget to vote

See you all next time. Bye :)