(11)

The first week back to school was nothing less compared to being in a torture cell for both Aini and Fakhir. The way they had been trolled, rebuked and made fun of, by their class fellows had disturbed their mental and emotional well-being to a greater extent.
This incident not only impacted them personally but was creating a rift among them as well; it always started with "Do you even know what I am facing in the school and then at home?" and ended with "You don't understand what I am going through; it's not easy for me as well."

They both were going through the same type of predicament but being in an age where a person is not able to fully understand and take a hold of their own emotions, it was a lot harder to comprehend the feelings of other one. In the meantime, Aini had started with her mid-terms which was adding up to the list of to-dos she has been assigned for every day.

The clock was ticking at its own pace and the relentless passage of time offered no respite to the two innocent souls, who were trying to navigate through the unpredictable challenges of their lives.

_______________________________________________________________________________

It was around nine of clock in the night time, when Fakhir entered his room which was covered in the dim light of the night lamp. He looked around and found Aini standing in the balcony; her back towards him.

Aini had stopped crying after what felt like ages and the reason behind those painful tears was her mid-term exams marksheet... which bared an overall 'C' grade. She was standing in the balcony, holding the paper which was the proof of how much this untimely marriage and the responsibilities it came with it, had spoiled her performance.

It was already too much to cope up with whatever was happening in the school and then coming back home, she had been assigned with the preparation of evening tea, then do any of Fakhir's work and the most difficult one was to wait for him to return for the dinner; but thank the Almighty this problem got resolved when Fakhir got to know about it; he had talked about the dinner issue in front of the whole family and now she had the freedom to eat whenever she wants.

Aini was deep in thoughts when she felt a tap on her shoulder and turned to find Fakhir standing beside her, who was about to say something but saw his facial expression change to a confused one.

"Were you crying?" Fakhir asked, after noticing the red and puffy eyes of Aini

Aini cleared her throat and looked away from him. She was in no mood to handle any type of discussion or quarrel with him.

Fakhir was about to ask again but he saw the paper she was holding and seized it from her hand at once. Aini was about to take it back, but Fakhir held her hand and said "Will you stop for a second?" and making her stand still beside him, her hand still resting in his and then took a closer look at the paper.

Aini saw the change on Fakhir's face from confusion to realization then to shock and finally a laugh which turned into a cough the next second.

She saw him looking at her with glee in his eyes and how hard he was trying to hold back his laughter.

"Nhi... Tum hass lo na pehle." She said irritatingly because of him and next moment only, the place was filled with Fakhir's laughter.

After a minute or two, when Fakhir had taken control on his emotions, he glanced down at Aini who was standing there with an annoyed look.

She snatched back the marksheet from him and was about to go inside, but was again stopped by the hold on her hand, making her turn towards him.

"What happened to Miss A+ and topper of the class? A... 'C'... really Aini?" he asked in a teasing manner.

Aini looked at him, her expression tinged with frustration, and thought... does he not know the reason behind her slipping grades.
Then, she gestured between them with her hand which she freed from his hold and said "This... This happened. This marriage, the responsibilities and everything that has been happening since then. Because of all of this, I couldn't give proper time to my studies. I... I had only a week and a half left by the time we were done with the functions... and dur..." she was again starting to tear up "and... during that time also, I had to make this, do that, get ready... and what not." She hiccupped while trying to get a hold on her emotions.

Fakhir's laugh and tease faded and got replaced by tension and worry seeing Aini's condition. He had no clue what has been going with her for the past month... well, almost a month.

He himself had gotten busy with his friends, then coaching and dealing with the teasing of the schoolmates and his Baba's expectations from him. Along with all of this, seeing Amna every day at school and then in class... it was too hard for him; they haven't talked properly in the beginning but then Amna had approached him with the notion of being friends and helped him a little bit in the preparation of their exams, which got finished just a day back.

But, now listening to Aini's turmoil he felt bad for her and remembered what Sameena had told him about they both being equally subjected to this difficult phase of life. He shook his head and led Aini inside the room.

Fakhir snapped his fingers in front of Aini and said "Are you even listening to what I am saying?"

Aini lips twitched in a smile and she replied "Of course, I am. You have been going on for like fifteen minutes now, about how a grade doesn't define your whole year, or how you can do better next time and... you know what, it feels like I am sitting in a counselling room and you are the counsellor... giving motivational and career guidance to me." Making Fakhir laugh at her reply and a bit relieved seeing her mood back to normal.

"Well, I am the elder one here and obviously the most 'zaheen' in the family. You can always come to me for any type of guidance." He said while standing up from his place, adjusting his collar and going towards the bed.

"Yeah right... the 'Zaheen'" she chuckled at that "we'll get to know about all that from your exam results which might be coming out in few days."

The only reply she got to this was darkness followed by a smack of the pillow on her face, before she settled on the sofa for the night.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Thank you for giving your time to this story.

Do give your reviews and don't forget to vote.

See you all next time. Bye :)