CHAPTER 21

“Come back, Sasuke,” Sakura said through somewhat heavy breaths, watching the Uchiha who had turned to face them after a long, tiring run through the north of The Land of Fire.

“You’re wasting your time,” Sasuke said, the rain pouring down onto his head and soaking his hair, “I’m not going to come back peacefully.”

Nanako almost scoffed, and Sakura beside her let out a dark chuckle. “It’s a good thing we aren’t here to bring you back peacefully then,” Sakura remarked, watching as the boy’s face molded itself into one of confusion, and then conviction, “I just thought I’d give you the option.”

The Uchiha scowled at her, but didn’t remark before another presence appeared, a pale boy significantly older than the three shinobi already present, his hair bone white and his skin pale. He appeared between the two parties, his back facing Sasuke as all three carefully entered stances, prepared to confront the unknown nin.

“You would do well to run, Sasuke,” the new nin said simply, barely giving the boy a glance, “Orochimaru-sama does not appreciate those who waste his time.”

Sakura glared at the newcomer worriedly, he seemed older than the other shinobi sent to collect Sasuke thus far, and the way he spoke told her he was probably higher ranked than them, too.

Sasuke hesitated for a moment before a glare from the white haired shinobi made him second guess his plan to stay, “I will stall them here,” Kimimaro said, watching as the Uchiha turned, ready to make his escape.

“Sakura,” Nanako said in barely a whisper, “go after the traitor, I’ll handle this guy.”

Sakura hesitated again, not willing to leave another teammate behind, her mind racing with thoughts for those they’d already trusted to survive their battles.

“Go, Sakura-taichou,” Nanako continued, slipping in the honorific in an attempt to remind her of the mission's objective, “I’ll survive. I promise.”

Sakura scowled as she glanced between the Oto nin and her teammate. “Fine, but I’ll hold you to that promise.”

Nanako didn’t respond verbally as Sakura ran through the hand seals for shunshin, escaping whilst Nanako charged forwards towards the new enemy.

Kimimaro though was not slow, and gracefully moved out of the way, avoiding her strikes with a finesse Nanako had never seen. “I can not let you continue on,” he said simply, “so I will kill you quickly before escorting Sasuke to Orochimaru-sama”

Nanako scowled at that, but her heart pounded. She was terrifyingly aware of how out of her league the older shinobi was already, and he had yet to attack her at all.

But, that changed quickly. He moved forward with speed faster than she’d seen even the Jonin of T&I move with during emergencies. She could barely raise her hands to block the heavy strike aimed at her head in time.

“You have potential,” the white haired nin said, watching her arms buckle under his strength, “it’s a pity I have to eliminate you.”

Nanako narrowed her eyes but didn’t speak as she jumped back, avoiding a harsh kick as she did.

Without wasting a second, her hands came up and flashed through a series of hand seals, heart racing as Kimimaro darted towards her.

“Earth Release: Mud Wall,” she called out, only for the emerging wall to be burst through in an instant by a spear of bone emerging from Kimimaro’s arm, barely stopping short of hitting her face.

She grit her teeth but used the moment of time the jutsu had bought her to flash through a second set of seals.

“Lighting Release: Thunderbolt,” she called out, sending a flash of lightning at her opponent, watching it cut through the Earthen wall with ease.