CHAPTER 25

Shikaku watched as the five genin filtered into the office behind the chunin. Her pink hair was neatly wound up on his head into a bun he could tell was deadly if gripped. She wore standard chunin uniform, and a faint scar ran down the left side of her face, below the eye. A scar that hadn't been there before her last mission.

"Team Three, it's good to see you've all recovered well," Shikaku said with a kind smile at the six children before him. "I'm correct to assume Ibiki didn't give you any details about your mission?"

"Nothing other than it being long-term, Hokage-sama" Sakura replied.

"Good, then let me explain." Shikaku said with a small cough to clear his throat. "Do any of you know anything about the Land of Mountains?"

"We were at war with them, about thirty years ago," Nanako said, but shrugged afterwards.

"That's true, but we ended the conflict with a ceasefire. Their Shinobi village, which was called the Kagero Village, was wiped out in an opportunistic attack a few weeks after the war ended by Tanigakure."

"Recently, our relationship with the Land of Mountains has been improving, thanks to the nephew of our Daimyo marrying their Daimyo's daughter." Shikaku explained, "so, in a showing of Fire's goodwill and due to Mountain's proximity to Earth Country, our Daimyo has offered to send a team of shinobi to act as bodyguard for the Daimyo of Mountains."

"We're going to be guarding a Daimyo?" Kiba asked, his voice quieter than usual but still louder than it should be in such a small space.

"Most of the time, no," Shikaku said, "that's why I'm comfortable sending genin on a mission like this."

"For the most part, you will only be accompanying the Daimyo on trips outside of the capital of his country, a showing of force type thing." Shikaku explained, "It means you'll have plenty of time to spend training and such, too."

"There is a small problem in that on such long term missions, a medic nin is usually a requirement." Shikaku said simply, "Sakura has basic skill in the art, but doesn't plan to pursue it further, but I heard from Ibiki that someone else here plans to specialise?"

Masato took half a step forward then and nodded, "I already use Fuinjutsu, so my chakra control is good." He explained, "I thought it was a good idea."

Shikaku nodded, "Good, then I'll have a study plan made up for your stay by a trusted medic," he says before turning to Hinata, Shino and Kiba, "your clan's have been informed and you will be recieving training instructions for your time away from the village as well."

"Sakura, Ibiki let me know he had Yugao put together a set of scrolls detailing Kenjutsu techniques you should learn over the course of your stay, share these with Shino," he said simply, "Nanako will receive a similar training plan from Anko."

Sakura was surprised at the amount Shikaku seemed to care for their growth, but it was smart when she stopped and thought about it.

Konoha didn't waste their weapon's potential.

"You should also make use of the Archive as best you can before leaving," Shikaku continued, "find something you want to focus on during your time away and request a copy made. I also recommend you pack anything valuable to you away to travel alongside, you never know what can happen on a mission like this."

Sakura nodded at that last bit, and made note to pack up her scorpion contract, alongside the stack of paintings she'd found in her father's office.

"How long will this mission last?" Sakura asked once he sounded finished.

"A year and a half," Shikaku said, "I will be recieving reports of your performance during this time, and I will be considering field promotions for those who exceed expectations."