Chapter Four

Stupid shouts excitedly, "It's a nudie magazine!"

I then hear the magazine rack tip over and crash to the floor.

"Sshhh! For god's sake Pac, would you keep it down? Do you want to bring the entire neighbourhood in here?" Mace's voice moves over to Stupid's direction.

"But...it's a nudie magazine."

"Put it down. Now."

"No."

I can't believe I'm trapped in here by these two...

"Fine. Keep it," Mace did not sound amused. "Let's get out of here. Don't want anyone seeing us here."

"Why?"

I could hear the exacerbated sigh from here, "Come on, Pac."

"Do you think Mica will make us food tonight?"

"It's not her shift today."

"But I like it when she cooks!"

Good. It sounds like they're leaving. I get ready to move from my spot, my heart finally deciding to slide down my throat. As I hear their footsteps almost exit the building, one of them suddenly stops.

"...What it is, Mace?" Stupid's voice came from outside.

"Footprints...There are footprints in the bicarb soda...Stay there."

"Huh?"

Oh fuck. I look down at my feet and realised that I had to walk through the powder to get into the other aisle. I could hear Mace quickly walking up the aisles. Panic resurges through my system rapidly. My fingers shaking as a fumble in my bag, trying desperately to reach for that knife again.

He was now heading directly for the service desk. There was nowhere for me to hide. Nowhere for me to go. I could only attack and run. If only I could grab the knife!

Just as his steps lead to the desk, his feet directly behind me and thin wood the only thing separating us, I could feel his gaze on me. All he has to do is look around and I'm dead.

As Mace rounds the corner, he's almost within sight. My fingers just found the knife's blade and I grab onto it with enough force that the sharp edge bites through my fingers. I pull it close to me, ready to fight and run. I bite my lip, ready to leap out-

A large crash sounds out from the street, jolting all of us into stunned surprise.

"What the fuck was that?" Mace growls, his voice pointed out over to Stupid.

"I-i-i-it's Pyros!" Stupid shout's rather shaken.

Mace quickly charges back towards the front of the shop. "What are they doing here?" His voice was now far away, but I could still make out his barking orders, "Quickly, we need to move! Go find Skull! I'll warn Bass!"

And just like that, I was left abandoned.

I think I just has a stroke. I slam a hand over my mouth to stop myself from gasping for air too loudly. Shakily standing up, I hold onto the knife at my side, ready to make a break for it. Whatever that was, it was enough to shake Mace to the core. I don't want to meet this 'Pyros'.

Getting outside, I look around and see that the street was totally abandoned.

I frown as I scan the street. What was it that made that noise?

I then hear chuckling from my side, "Funny what happens when you copy a tribe's calling card. They all get confused and jumpy. Takes'em long enough to figure it out. Or not. Well either way, I get the spoils."