chapter 22

Xaervin's POV

So irritating, the marquess's daughter in front of me keeps babbling about something that I don't even bother to understand. How long will I have to wait to meet my master again?

"S-Sir Xaervin! Are you listening?" The marquess's daughter pouted at me and frowned, I pushed her off me and fixed my tie.

"I have something to attend to with her Highness, goodbye Lady Vienne." I turned away as I heard her yell out my name.

Murmurs from the nobles filled the halls, "Who does he think he is? He's only a knight looking down on nobles like us." It was one of their favorites to say.

My breath shouldn't be wasted on these arrogant assholes, times like these I yearn for my master's soft voice that lingers through me.

"Hey you! How dare you speak that way to Lady Vienne?! Go down on your knees and apologize immediately!" A man grabbed my wrist, he was significantly shorter than me but still had the confidence to even look into my eyes.

Judging by the symbol on his brooch, he was the eldest son of Viscount Mason. His nobility isn't all that important for me nor is he beneficial to my master, I pulled away and turned my back against him once more.

I suddenly felt my master's mana approaching, her steps were coming closer to me as I couldn't help but draw a faint smile.

"You son of a bitch! You dare ignore me?! When you're just a mere commoner?!" The man grabbed my collar as I had to restrain myself to kill him then and there.

He then proceeded to take out his sword that I didn't even realize he had, he held the edge of it to my throat and proceeded to threaten me.

By the looks of the nobles witnessing the scene, it was obvious they have no interest in stopping this idiot in front of me, quite the contrary they looked pleased.

"This is your last chance, if you beg and kiss my feet and Lady Vienne's I will give you my mercy." The bastard had the arrogance to smile, my master's scent was approaching much closer as I thought of a brilliant idea.

"I'd rather burn my neck and decapitate myself than to acknowledge a piece of trash like you," I whispered to his neck as his face turned red. Based on my knowledge this bastard had a short temper and would always throw tantrums when things wouldn't go his way.

His stance was sloppy and the way he held his sword is a disgrace to swordsmanship, I could've easily killed him without using my magic. I smiled at my idea as the bastard fell for my plan, he punched me in the face as I stumbled back.

I made sure I absorbed his impact as my mouth was bleeding, and because of his flimsy grip on the sword he slit my throat and it started bleeding as well.

My master's footstep echoed throughout the hall as I heard her screams, I tried to hide my smiles and her worry made my heart flutter.

"Xaervin!" She screamed as she ran as fast as she could, her breathing hitched as her arms supported my head.

Knights came rushing at the scene as my master had tears welling in her eyes. She turned her head to the viscount's son, her face held an angered expression.

"How dare you touch one of the royal princess' people? Do you know your act can be considered as an insult to the royal?" A royal knight announced as the bastard could only shake in his knees in worry.

"He instigated the attack your highness! He wouldn't apologize to the Lady for ignoring her when he's only a commoner-" The bastard tried to waste his breathe until my master cut him off.