Chapter 13

Barbara

I locked my emotions away and leaned against the white marble counter, waiting for Meryl's attacks to begin. The older woman did not disappoint.

Putting her hands on her hips, she asked, "are you dating Ryan Davies?"

"That's none of your concern," I replied.

"I don't care who you entertain in your personal time, Barbara," she said. "But if you dare tell anyone about your relationship with us-"

"You'll ruin my life. I know. Spare me the threats, Meryl," I said, and turned to look at the mirror.

I fixed a few strands of hair around my face while Meryl fumed at being interrupted. My step mother was a predator. If she scented weakness, she would step on me like I was a cockroach.

"Very well," Meryl said. "Billy spoke to you about the CEO position of OG Foods."

I shot my eyes to Meryl's reflection in the mirror. "Yes. I heard his nonsense."

"Nonsense?" Meryl laughed. "Oh, my dear. You don't understand the situation well, do you?"

I turned around and crossed my arms. "Enlighten me."

"Your grandmother only gave you the position as a last resort to make you involved in the family business. Agnes was emotional like that. No one thought the company would actually recover," Meryl said. "But it did, by miracle. And now OG Foods is one of the top performing subsidiaries, it only makes sense that the heir takes the lead."

"That's not how the world works, Meryl," I said. "Business doesn't care about who's heir and who's not. It cares about profit and performance."

Meryl waved off my words. "Don't make this difficult, Barbara. Give the position up before the board of directors' meeting. There's no need to make this a public affair."

"I don't mind making it a public affair, I have nothing to lose," I said. Meryl's features tightened. "And good luck making the board of directors believe your son can run a company better than I do."

Meryl's nostrils flared as she walked closer. "Listen to me, you ungrateful bastard. Walk away from the company or I will make you regret it."

I straightened. "Try your best, Meryl. I'm not leaving the position." I looked at the necklace around her neck. "By the way, my grandmother's necklace looks very beautiful tonight. I wonder what people would say if they find out it's stolen."

Her eyes widened in indignation. "It is not stolen!"

"Of course it is. Grandmother left it for me," I said, smiling. "We both know that. Just as we know you and Graham forger her last will-"

"Barbara!" She hissed, glancing at the door. "Don't forget yourself."

I dropped the smile. "That should be my line, Meryl. Mess with me, and I'll let the world know just what kind of greedy bitch you are."

She sputtered, and I left before she could get another word in. My chest tightened with anger. What an arrogant, old hag.

I strode to the banquet hall. Standing at the entrance was Billy. Great. Just great. He was the last person I wanted to see.

"Get out of my way, Billy," I said when my half brother blocked my way.

He grinned. "Why? Don't you miss me?"

I blinked at him. "What do you want?"

"Nothing, I was just wondering where you were," he said. "I have something to talk to you about."