Chapter 30

Barbara

My interview was out.

It was the week of Eleanor's wedding, yet all my sister was talking about was my interview. She kept sending me shorts and reels of it that people cut out of the full video.

As Darla had hoped, it went viral. I didn't know how to feel about it. I didn't particularly care for the fifteen minutes of fame it would give me, but at the same time, some people found it very moving.

I was on my weekly walk in the city with Pirate when I heard my own voice coming out of another person's phone. I tugged my hoodie lower down my face and advanced in the line. I liked the coffee that this specific cart sold in the park.

The group of girls in line behind me were probably watching one of those short videos. Hearing my own voice made me feel all sorts of awkward.

"The majority of people in big managerial positions are white men. If you're not a white man, your performance is put under a microscope, and you're often judged by a different scale. I'm a woman of color, when I make a mistake, it's blamed on my being a woman. Because women are too emotional, or women don't have the brains for business, or any other nonsensical justification. But if a man makes the same mistake, it's just an honest mistake."

"Other than business, you've recently been involved in a few rumors considering your dating life," the interviewer said. "It involves a famous top model and her ex-husband. What do you have to say about that?"

"That's a personal matter that I don't wish to talk about publicly. I don't want the people involved to suffer from any more speculations."

The girls behind me started speaking, "they're speaking about Miranda Powell, right?"

"Yeah, her ex-husband is dating her. You really think Barbara Owens is trying to come between them?"

One of the girls snorted. "Please, why would she? She's gorgeous. He's a divorced guy with a kid. She could do way better."

"But have you seen the guy? He's so hot, and rich."

"She's rich, too. She doesn't need his money," the girl said. "Miranda on the other hand... I mean, everyone she's ever dated is either an influential person in Hollywood or a stinking rich guy."

"Well, I think Miranda is way more beautiful, her personality is way better, and she's the kid's mom. They honestly look better together."

"You're so biased. You've been Miranda's fan for years. Besides, the woman has more scandals than half of Hollywood put together. I mean, just the drugs-"

I zoned them out when it was my turn in the line. This was the issue. Women could be women's worst enemies. Tearing each other apart and feeding the rumors that could ruin lives.

Honestly, whether it were men or women, feeding the gossip mill was the worst, most harmful pastime. It's so easy to believe that our words are simply words, and not knives that could shred someone's life to pieces.

I bought my coffee and made my way to a bench tucked between the trees, away from everyone. Pirate nibbled on some treats while I drank my coffee. The sky was a dull gray, but the weather was warmer than expected. It would be snowing later in the week, so the ground on Eleanor's big day would be covered in white. Just as she'd wanted for her winter wedding.

My phone rang. Ryan. My heart skipped a beat. I hadn't seen him since the day he'd come over with Jeremy. That was a week ago. But he regularly texted me pictures of Lady and Jeremy. I treasured them dearly.

He hadn't asked about those three dates again, and I appreciated the space he was willing to give me.

But I did miss them. Him and Jeremy both.