Chapter 14

Ryan

"Jeremy, why don't you show Barbara to the guest bedroom on the second floor?"

"Okay!" Jeremy said, jumping down his stool. Barbara followed Jeremy, picking up her skirt so it wouldn't drag on the floor. She was at the bottom of the stairs when she finally turned to me.

"Um- do you mind lending me some clothes?" she asked. "This is not very suitable for sleeping and I'd like to take a shower, so..."

"Oh. Of course," I said, standing up. I'd been staring at her like an idiot and I didn't even think of that. "I'll put them on the bed if you wanna go ahead and shower."

"Thank you," she said and followed Jeremy upstairs. I kept staring, as I'd been doing the entire evening. She looked breathtaking all dolled up in a dress. Barbara was a beautiful woman, but today she was incredible.

I shook my head and stood up. I needed to snap out of it. I'd told her I wasn't looking for a real relationship. And while a part of me was beginning to regret those words, another part knew that I couldn't get entangled with her right now. Not until the situation with Miranda was clear. I had to find a way for Miranda to see her son on a regular basis now that she was clean.

The problem was that sometimes, it seemed like she didn't want to see Jeremy. She didn't even want to make the effort. If she only spent enough time with the boy, she'd see how much she was missing out on. But I would make it work for Jeremy's sake. I would find a way to bring his mother back to his life.

I didn't want him to have a childhood like mine; constantly pushed aside by my parents, always wondering whether I even mattered to them. Whether I was worthy of their love.

Going to my room, I got a change of clothes from my closet and went down to Barbara's room.

We didn't have any women's clothes in the house, so mine would have to do. I should've asked Jordan to bring a change of Jenny's clothes when I picked up Jeremy, but I hadn't thought that far ahead.

The shower was on in Barbara's attached bathroom. I put the clothes on the bed next to her clutch and left.

I shot her a text to meet me downstairs once she was done. I had questions she had the answers to.

After a hot shower, I checked on Jeremy. The boy had started taking his showers on his own around six months ago. Now he was cuddled beneath his blue comforter, already drowsy. I closed the dark curtains and crossed the green rug. The bedside lights illuminated the blue, green and yellow mural right behind Jeremy's bed.

"Did you brush your teeth?" I asked, sitting beside him.

"Uh-huh." He yawned. "Barbara said she likes my room."

"You brought her here?" I asked. Jeremy loved his room. He was the one who chose the jungle theme and most of the colors and decorations, and he was proud of it.

"Yeah. I asked her if she wants to see my room. And she said yes. She told me she'll get me a hammock for my birthday present."

I smiled. "A hammock. That's a good idea. Do you know what that is?"

"Uh-huh. She showed me pictures when I asked. I get to chose the color."

I ran my hand over his silky hair. His eyes were drooping already, but there was a small smile on his lips.

"Will Barbara still be here in the morning?" he mumbled.

"I guess so," I said. "If she doesn't leave early, you might see her when you wake up."

"Okay, wake me up early then," he said, the tail of his words a sleepy mumble.

I chuckled and kissed his hair. He really liked Barbara, and he wasn't the only one. "Goodnight, son."