Epilogue

Barbara

One year later

"I want a little brother."

I almost spit my water. Ryan choked on his coffee. We looked at each other across the island then at Jeremy, who watched us with the bright-eyed eagerness of a seven year old.

The green cabinets and marbled countertops glimmered under the sunlight. It poured through the windows, a thick layer of early spring warmth flooding the kitchen.

Ryan cleared his throat. "What's this about, Jeremy?"

"Lia has a little brother, and Cody and Mark also have little brothers," Jeremy said. Cody and Mark were his closest classmates. "I want a little brother too."

Jeremy looked at me. "Can I have one, Barbara? Please..."

Ryan's eyes crinkled at the corners. I gave him a warning look. He turned and busied himself with putting milk and juice back in the fridge, whistling under his breath the tone of Mission Impossible. Which deflecting Jeremy's attention would certainly be.

What Ryan didn't know, however, was that Jeremy's wish would become a reality in about thirty three weeks. Whether he would get a little brother or a little sister, however, was still pending.

"Well, sweetheart... Uh- how about we discuss this later?" I said, standing up with my empty plate. "I'm going to see the new puppies in the shelter, do you want to come along?"

The promise of puppies was enough consolation for Jeremy. He nodded eagerly, transferred his plate and glass to the sink, then ran out of the kitchen. Lady and Pirate followed him. They were his shadows. Even Pie and Pepper, our cats, slept in his room most nights.

After moving in together, it took Jeremy exactly one week to win over Pie and Pepper's hearts. He became their favorite human being. And I was delegated to honorary second place.

"So not funny," I told Ryan, rinsing the dishes. He chuckled, his dark eyes twinkling, and came up behind me.

"Sorry. My first reaction was to tell him that I'm working on it. But I didn't want to get into what working on it entails," Ryan said. Circling my waist, he pulled my back against his chest.

I grinned. Knowing Jeremy, that would be his first question.

"Coward," I said.

Ryan kissed the side of my neck and kept his lips there, speaking against my skin. "Well, I think we shouldn't disappoint Jeremy. How about we go make some efforts right now?"

Chuckling, I turned my face and kissed his cheek. "Maybe later. If you're lucky."

Ryan raised his head and grinned. "That's a promise."

"I'm going to wait outside!" Jeremy called out. His footsteps pounded through the living room and out the front door.

Ryan and I spurred into action. I had a busy day ahead of me.

Eight months ago, Ryan and I got married. It was a quiet ceremony on the beach of my old house, with only close family and friends.

I didn't care for lavish weddings. The only reason I had one to begin with was to memorialize the day Ryan and I got married.

The day of my wedding wasn't as big a turning point as I thought it'd be, at least not as much as the day Ryan and I moved in together.

It had been almost a year, but the warmth of the house still squeezed my heart every time I stepped foot inside. It was so full of life and love and laughter. A house that wasn't empty and cold. A home.