Chapter 38

Eleanor arrived on Friday. She was tanned, her hair was lighter and she glowed with happiness. We met up for lunch, then went to her apartment to pack up all her remaining artwork and send them off to Texas.

We had dinner with Jeremy and Ryan in our usual diner. And Eleanor decided to spend a couple of days at my place. I didn't see Ryan again until he picked me up for our movies' date. I'd told him he didn't need to drive all the way to my place only to drive back, but he insisted.

"I swear if he screws up again, I'll skewer him," she said, brandishing her rolling pin like a weapon. She was making cookies, enough to feed a small village. A green apron tied around her waist, wispy strands of her hair escaped the confines of her bun and fluttered around her freckled cheeks.

"He won't. Don't worry," I said.

She gave me a squinty-eyed look. "You seem so sure."

I shrugged, tugging on my sweater sleeves. "I believe him. If he screws up, it won't be on purpose. And we'll work things out between us, if anything happens."

Eleanor put her hand on her heart. "Awwww, my baby is all grown up."

I rolled my eyes. "I'm older than you."

"Yes, but you're also less experienced when it comes to dealing with people," she said, rolling the dough on the island. "I know, you've been a CEO and you dealt with people all the time, but that's on a professional level. On a personal level, however..."

She was right. I had barely had any noteworthy relationships over the years, other than Eleanor, Max and my late grandmother.

The doorbell rang. Eleanor dropped the rolling pin and rushed to the door, wiping her hands on her apron.

"Eleanor!" I stepped out of the kitchen. Pirate stood up from where he laid on his bed next to the dark fireplace and trotted towards me. I scratched his head.

"I'll just thank him for the wedding!" she called out.

Slowly, I put on my coat over my white knit sweater and jeans, and headed to the door, shadowed by my dog. The door was open, and Eleanor was out chatting with Ryan, whose face was half hidden by a massive bouquet of blood red roses. The vivid color stood out against the backdrop of grays and blues the dusk sky painted everything.

"Eleanor, you'll catch a cold. Get inside," I told her, stepping down the porch.

Eleanor, her nose red, sniffed and grinned. "I'm just making sure we're on the same page. Look!He got you flowers!"

Her attempts at changing the subject so I wouldn't ask her more about it was cute, so I let it go.

Ryan gave me the bouquet. "You're ready?"

"Yes." The smell of roses warmed my soul. I smiled. "I'll just put these in a vase-"

"I got it." Eleanor snatched the bouquet and walked away. "Come on, Pirate! You guys have fun!"

She went inside with Pirate. A second after the door closed, it opened and Eleanor's blond head popped out. "Oh, and you don't have to come home tonight, Barbara. I'm looking after the babies. So take all the time you want."

She closed the door. I covered my eyes. That girl, I swear...

Ryan tugged my hand down and kissed my knuckles. "Hey."

"Hey." My heart played gymnastics in my chest.

Ryan's smile crinkled his eyes. "Let's go, or we might be late to the movie."