Seven

Flashback. II

True to his promise, he did not leave her house until she falls asleep.

He covered her body with the Hello Kitty blanket he had given to her on her 14th birthday and placed a pillow under her head. He kissed her forehead, flicked the switch of the lamp off, and then walked out of her room quietly. He left the door ajar just in case she wakes up.

But little did she know, he had not left her house until her twin brother, Justin, arrived from God knows where.

“Hey, man. Why are you still here?” asked a curious Justin.

“I can’t leave your sister alone in this huge house,” he replied.

Now that Justin was here, he stood up and about to leave when he was asked if he could stay for a while and talk.

“Yeah, sure. What about?”

“About my sister.”

“Oh, uhm. What about her? Is there something wrong?”

“Nothing. No, I guess I’m just worried.”

“Why?”

Justin got up to get some drinks. “This conversation may take an hour, is that okay with you? What do you want: coffee, juice, water, beer... name it.”

“Water. Thanks.’

He ran toward the kitchen. After five minutes, he went back with a trolley containing glasses, a pitcher of water, a pitcher of juice, bowls of biscuits, and a jar of chocolates.

“Woah! I never thought that we would be talking for a day!” Drew grinned.

“Maybe, maybe not. I think it’s because the owner of these foods is fast asleep to even notice that all of her foods will be in her memories by tomorrow,” Justin smirked.

”You are so dead when she wakes up finding that her babies are all gone.”

“She’ll get over it, though,” he said and his expression immediately went serious. “Drew, was there a time when Nicki complained? Family, school, friends…”

“When she’s hungry. She acts like a whiny bitch.”

“Well, that’s news to me,” he replied sarcastically. “Aside from that?”

“Not that I know. Why are you asking me this?”

“Don’t get me wrong, Drew. I like you for my sister. I really do. When she’s with you, I can feel that she is really happy, like she’s not thinking of anything but the moment the two of you having.”

“So… what’s wrong now?”

“Nothing. I guess it’s just me missing her. I mean, we are living in the same house but we never get a chance to talk about anything. She never confides to me anymore. I don’t even know that that Earl guy was her boy friend,” Justin said with disgust evident in his voice.

“Funny, she said the same things you said, except the Earl thing,” Drew smiled. “Wait, was that you who beat Earl?”

“Yeah. That fucking twat cheated on Nicki and that’s the least I could do. Coach suspended me for that but you know what? I did not give an ounce of damn. I love her so much I’m willing to sacrifice everything for the sake of her happiness,” he said. “What about you, Drew? Do you love my sister?”

He froze at Justin’s question. He did not know what to say so he carefully chose the words he would reply. “Of course, I love her. She’s my best friend. ”