CHAPTER SIX

SAI'EYLA HUMMED TO HERSELF AS SHE TOSSED ANOTHER SMALL FISH TO RAHAYLO, HER ILU. A few days had passed since she last saw the Sullies and Tuk. Her life had gotten so busy recently that she had no time to drop in and check on them.

Recently, the village boys had been participating in playful fighting challenges that often sent them with bruises and scratches to Ronal, and being Ronal's favorite healer meant she had to deal with all of them. Ronal had cleared her of the duties she was meant to complete so that they could practice together and heal the stupid boys that came tumbling in.

Only after getting lectured a million times did the boys stop the fights-- or, more likely, stopped coming in when they got beat up. She swore she saw Khalo, one of Ao'nung's foolish friends, walking back to his marui with a few untreated scratches.

The girl wished for a moment of peace in the village. She still hadn't been able to visit her safe area, to feel the gentle stream and bask under the warm sun that hit the rock she would typically perch on. Sai'eyla could only imagine the flowers she had planted; they were probably dead.

"Sai'eyla." Neteyam approached from behind. "Nice to see you again," He bowed, looking up with a smile as she turned to look at him.

"Likewise, are you ready?" She asked, and he eagerly nodded.

Sai'eyla called for the ilu's, the same one Ao'nung did. Shortly after, another ilu came over, shrieking into Sai'eyla's touch. She rubbed at its head and fed it a fish, talking to it in a hushed voice so Neteyam couldn't make out what she was saying.

"Neteyam, meet Tirey. Your--Hopefully--your new buddy." Sai'eyla cooed at Tirey as she scratched underneath his mouth, and the ilu shrieked again, clearly enjoying it.

Sai'eyla observed as Neteyam moved closer to Tirey. She could tell he was still nervous around the creatures and determined to change that. With her help, he would have this down in no time. Tirey followed the boy with his two front eyes, assessing him momentarily before swimming closer and rubbing up against him. He let out a shrill of happiness and splashed around in the water, the blue exterior of his body shimmering in the sunlight.

Neteyam's eyes immediately darted at Sai'eyla, he had that glow in his eyes as he stroked Tirey's head, and she could only return the smile before speaking again.

"Tsireya told me you weren't doing so well with the ilu you were practicing with, so we will start over. Besides, Tirey loves everybody and is easy to learn with."

Neteyam nodded, following along like a baby taking his first steps, it felt better than it was only the two of them. There was no Ao'nung and friends to worry about; he didn't need to watch after Kiri, Loak, or Tuk, just him, the ilu, and his gorgeous teacher.

She guided him onto Tirey, who waited patiently. The ilu let out a few shrieks and whistles as Sai'eyla got Neteyam situated. Her hand warmed his thick thigh as she shifted him gently, the other one on his back as she leaned into him to tell him how to mount correctly, similar to what she had once been taught; her voice sounded sweet and smooth in Neteyam's ear, setting him in a state of relaxment on the ilu. Something that Ao'nung was unable to do.

Neteyam's eyes wandered to where her hand rested. He reached out gently to hold her hand and ran his fingers over her knuckles. Tracing the darker patterns on her skin as she observed her pinky carefully. "You have five fingers."

"What?" Her tone wavered as she was caught off guard.

Speechless. Sai'eyla was absolutely speechless. Whatever Neteyam was doing right now was getting her heated. She felt a gentle shiver run down her spine at the touch and felt her mouth dry a little. When she glanced up at Neteyam, it was the first time he couldn't meet her gaze. He wasn't the most subtle person ever when he stared; when she had been talking to Kiri once near the Marui, she could feel his stare behind her back, and that wasn't the first time either. Sai'eyla always noticed him, and he seemed to always notice her.

From the Forest | ATWOWOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara