CHAPTER 1 Annelise

I can hear the birds chirping from here. The sea's waters are teal today, moving peacefully and softly kissing the sand and it's shells. But I'm here, above everything, inside the tower. I close my eyes for a moment to enjoy this beautiful and innocent sound as i rest my head in my hand at the open vintage window. The sun is setting.

I can see everything but i can't touch it. In fact I've never touched the sand or the grass next to the tower. Mother says it's dangerous. Everything is dangerous. So I'm being kept safe here.

It's about time mother came. I really want to ask her this time. Not like all the other times this time of the year, i had no courage to place the question with the confidence my heart is beating for. I used to hesitate but not today. I'll turn eighteen in some days and i would love to live my dream, to get out of here at least for one day.

I know it's dangerous. I also know many want to kill me because my blood glitters. I know mother would definitely hate my birthday wish and i know she'll totally reject it or act as if she'd never heard anything about it. But today I'm determined.

The door knocked three times.
"You are not going to keep me waiting here, are you Annelise?" Mother asked with a cheerful voice.

And oh crap i forgot to hide my books. The romance-fantasy books. The one's I'm not supposed to read. How did they end up on my hands? I came across them one day last year while i was cleaning mother's library. Fairytales is what they are called.

And she has no idea about my soon to be one year old hobby so i rashly put them back before i open the door for her, greeting her with an awkward unsure smile.

"Finally! What were you doing here?" She poked my nose "Where you hiding something?"

I open my eyes wide with surprise. Has she found out? I'm not supposed to read them, they are from the outside world. "Oh don't worry, honey. I'm just teasing you!" She said as she passed me to put the groceries to the table. "Oh..." I laughed awkwardly.

The question, Annelise!

"Oh! Mother," i hurry to her side as she gets the groceries out of the basket "A-as you already know, I'm turning eighteen in four days and..." I pause and look at my bare feet "I wanted to ask you for a favour." I say confidently locking gaze with her brown eyes.

Mother looked at me with suspicion in her eyes. "Go on." she said now serious and stopped doing the groceries.

I close my eyes as I say "If it was possible, i would love to spend the day of my birthday at the village!" There! I said it. I finally said these words-

"No you won't. The outside world is dangerous for you." Was her reply. Well i didn't expect anything different for a reaction but i did had hope.

Now that I've come to this, I'm not going to give up.

"You are right, but i will not be alone! You will be there with me. You could show me fun places, we could ride a little boat like those that i see every day on the ocean or- or we could-"

"Enough, Annelise! Enough!" She cut me off "I already made myself clear about this matter. The world is dangerous for you! There are people out there that want bad things to happen to you. What would happen if you accidently cut yourself and they saw your blood glitter? They wouldn't need to think twice before killing you right there and then!"

"I will be careful." I mutter.

"I said no." "But mother it's my eight-"

"Stop it Annelise! I. Said. No. You are never going to get out of here! Never!" She shouted and i shut my mouth close fighting my tears not to fall. Silence darkened the room. "I-I'm sorry, mother" i apologise, my head towards my feet once again but this time not to collect courage.

Mother signed, her fingers on her forehead as if a headache was created. "I forgot to buy something important." She said "You can eat the soup from yesterday, I'll return tomorrow afternoon." These were her last words before disappearing at she had just come. I was given no time to react.

And just like that my dream was shattered and i was left all alone again. Here. With a quick peek towards the window i see the night's stars lighting. The night has come. I have no appetite for dinner.

I change into my pajamas and my head hitts the pillow as i lay on my bed staring at the ceiling i myself paint when I'm bored. The night sky with the stars. My angry tears returned threatening my throat like thorns.

I guess when i wake up I'll eat breakfast, wash and dry the dishes, bake cookies, read, paint, clean the house, maybe sew me something with the new fabrics mother bought me two days ago, prepare for lunch and then what? I will return to my everyday life yet it feels more depressing thinking it will last forever.

Suddenly, a sly idea came to my mind. What if i run away? Mother is not here right now and i know how to get out, from the cellar. For as long as i can remember mother gets inside and outside the tower by that door.

On one hand, If i return safely after my birthday I'll have proven to her that i too can be independent and totally not be killed by some random people. On the other hand, if i die, i die.

I quickly get up and change into my blue simple dress then wear a dark cape to cover myself. I collect some necessary things and food. Now the only thing left is this floor door.

I try to open it but to no vail. I give it an other try nothing happened. It must be locked. Perfect... I wave my hand in disappointment ready to return to bed and think of all this as an other silly dream but to my surprise i hear the lock do a little click. I give it an other try. The floor door opened.

If you liked this chapter please vote or comment (⁠◍⁠•⁠ᴗ⁠•⁠◍⁠)⁠✧⁠*⁠。

Once Upon A Magic FlowerOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara