Determined Resolution

"Um... Dean Zhang, do you happen to know Professor Sun Xiaodong from Huazhong University of Science and Technology?" Now that he wanted to leave, He Zhiyong had to start implementing his plan.

"Old Sun? What do you want with him? Are you interested in nuclear physics?" Zhang Minsheng returned to his senses, looking at He Zhiyong with a puzzled expression. What does he want to do? Does he really have research in nuclear physics? Impossible!

"I can give you his personal email. You can contact him if you have any questions." Zhang Minsheng slowly exhaled, dispelling unrealistic thoughts from his mind. Even if he's a genius, it's impossible to cross disciplines, right? Moreover, biology and nuclear physics are worlds apart.

"Thank you, Dean!"

He Zhiyong was very grateful for obtaining the private email of a nuclear physics professor at Huazhong University. After all, if he had to find it himself, as a biology student, wouldn't people think he's clueless?

After receiving Professor Sun's private email, He Zhiyong happily turned around and pushed open the door of the classroom.

...

When He Zhiyong left, the classroom fell silent once again. Three professors stared at the blackboard with solemn expressions.

After a while, Zhang Minsheng slowly exhaled a breath. "This kid... is extraordinary!"

Beside him, Zhou Deqian nodded in agreement. "Exactly. At least, my experimental data tells me that this drug is now ready for pharmacokinetic studies."

"Old Zhou, I will report this matter to the president. You can go ahead with the animal experiments for the drug. A drug that could control gene segments might just bring an end to the HIV virus. Just like how we eradicated malaria and smallpox in Huazhong University of Science and Technology!" Zhang Minsheng's voice showed a sense of determination.

...

Huazhong University of Science and Technology, September-end. The weather had begun to cool down, and the heat on the entire campus started to dissipate. The evening cicadas in the treetops occasionally made noisy chirping sounds, making people irritable. However, He Zhiyong found the noisy cicadas quite enjoyable.

He hadn't heard the sound of cicadas for ten years.

Strolling on the asphalt road, He Zhiyong's eyes flickered with countless complex emotions. If it weren't for her in the research institute, He Zhiyong might have chosen to walk alone into the abyss of endless white snow after learning about the death of his parents.

His mind was filled with the image of her face, which had always maintained a gentle smile. Time seemed to have left no trace on her face...

He Zhiyong tightly clenched his fist.

In the evening on campus, carefree university students formed groups and roamed around freely. He Zhiyong's mission was to protect these people!

Arriving at the dormitory, He Zhiyong's roommate was in the middle of playing an online game with a group.

"Hey, Zhiyong, are you okay?" "Yeah! It's you again, daring to mess around in the lab in your freshman year, and even daring to contradict the professor in your sophomore year..."

Li Lei was the roommate with the best relationship with He Zhiyong. No, it could be said that he got along well with everyone in the dormitory.

"I'm fine. Professor Hao just asked me to answer a few questions." Facing the concern of his roommates, He Zhiyong smiled lightly and replied with a few words. He took his computer and meal card and left the dormitory.

He was heading to the library; the dormitory was not the place for serious work. Besides, he didn't want to reject his roommates if they invited him to play games.

"Di, di, di!" Halfway there, He Zhiyong's mobile phone suddenly rang. Looking at this device that had turned into a brick due to the war in his previous life, He Zhiyong's eyes showed a touch of nostalgia.

The screen lit up.

Looking at the incoming call information on the screen, He Zhiyong's eyes flashed with surprise.

It was his mother!

He Zhiyong trembled as he slid his finger to answer the call.

"Mom?" His voice was choked with emotion. In the next moment, a gentle female voice came through the phone.

"Zhiyong, what's wrong? Why does it sound like you're about to cry? Did someone bully you?"

Realizing he had lost control, He Zhiyong immediately suppressed his excitement. After adjusting his emotions, he forced a smile and said, "Mom, I'm fine. It's been a while since we last met. I miss you."

"Hey, you, it's only been a few days since the start of the semester, and you already miss me?" Although the woman's voice carried a hint of reproach, it was filled with concern.

"Mom, is there something you need by calling now?"

"Well, nothing in particular. Just checking on how you're doing, making sure you're eating well at school, not starving yourself..."

He Zhiyong listened quietly, not interrupting his mother's nagging. Especially when his mother reminded him to eat well, tears finally uncontrollably flowed down his cheeks. In the previous life, his parents had died of starvation during the "Dark Age."

He Zhiyong listened quietly, wiping the tears from his face with his hands.

"Alright, I've said enough. Take care of yourself and study well!"

"Okay, Mom, I'm on my way to the library."

"Good, if you run out of living expenses, ask us for more."

Before He Zhiyong could continue speaking, the call was abruptly ended. Listening to the busy tone on the phone, He Zhiyong couldn't hold back the tears any longer. Tears, now unhindered, filled his cheeks instantly.

His father, He Shouren, was a typical farmer, supporting their family through several fruit greenhouses. His mother, Li Guixiang, also took care of the crops in the greenhouses. In the previous life, because of the greenhouses, their family managed to harvest an extra season of rice after the global outbreak of the withering virus.

With his identity as a researcher, his parents lived a relatively comfortable life. However, when global famine broke out, causing riots in Huazhong University and leading to a loss of food, his parents eventually died of starvation.

Thinking about the video sent by boat from Huazhong University, where bones were exposed in the wilderness, with no crowing of chickens for miles around, He Zhiyong's eyes became firm. He bit his lip and wiped away the tears on his face.

With determined strides, he entered the library.