𝟢𝟣𝟥,𝐢𝐭'𝐬 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐲 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐚 𝐰𝐚𝐬𝐩

CH. THIRTEEN
┗━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━┛

This Greenie is a little more difficult than the other boys she has worked with so far.

"What's out there?" The boy, who seems around the age of fifteen, points at the open Doors. He has been asking about it the whole day, and it's pissing her off.

Joan groans without shame. "Don't ask me. It's none of our business."

"How old do I look?" He then asks, running a hand through his locks. His hair is so blonde that it could be white, along with his pale skin.

"Like fifteen," she replies. "And I?" With that question, she realizes she never asked anyone about her age, or her features, or anything related to it.

"Fifteen," he says in full confidence.

"Nah."

"Definitely."

"I'm at least seventeen!" She protests.

"No, you're not," he says. "You're fifteen. Maybe sixteen."

"If you're that good at ages," she raises an eyebrow, "then tell me how old the guys you've met so far are."

"Newt's seventeen. Alby is eighteen."

The girl runs a hand down her face, not agreeing to this at all. She's not shucking fifteen. Minho and Newt would be two years older, because they're seventeen for sure (even with Newt's babyface, you can tell). And Alby three years! Camil one or two, too!

"If Newt's seventeen, then I'm twenty-three!"

He shrugs.

"Who is my age?" She then wonders. "Who you think, at least."

"Me, I guess. And the grumpy guy over there. Perhaps... what's his name? Hank? And the boy I worked with in the Bloodhouse."

What.

"Gally's not fifteen," is the first thing she says. "He's at least eighteen."

His eyebrows shoot up. "What makes you think that?"

"He—" she stops. Frowns. "He is... tall."

"Yeah, but not eighteen. Boy barely has a stubble."

Alright, he has a point. But she really didn't consider Gally being fifteen.

Her eyes widen. He was thirteen when he came up in the Box! And everyone else must've been awfully young, too. Gosh.

"Would you finally tell me me what's out there?" His eyes are focused on the Doors again.

"It's not my job to tell you that."

She has learned that Alby is very strict with telling others about the Maze. In fact, he only wants him or Newt to explain it to the Greenies. No one else.

"Can I check it out?"

"No. Listen to the rules. Never go outside the walls."

"I saw you kick a guy yesterday. That's also a rule. No harming," he says. "So what's the difference between us?"

"I'm cooler."

He gets up, ignoring her reply. "I'm checking it out."

Then she gets up too, taking the kid by his shirt. "You didn't hear what I said? Don't go fucking out there unless you want to get yourself into deep trouble."

He pushes her hands off. "Fine." And sits back down.

They continue working for a good twenty minutes. He mumbles about how much his hands hurt until she decides they need more flowers, so commands him to follow her.