𝟢𝟦𝟧,𝐢𝐭'𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐚𝐦𝐞

CH. FORTY - FIVE
┗━━━━━━━━━━┛

"We got it." Joan comes rushing into the room where Ben lies, a syringe in her hands. "We got it, we got it, we got it."

It's a blue serum. Looks exactly like the cure she saw in her memories. They used only her blood because they know hers is able to cure, and they're not sure if Thomas is able to, too.

"Wait—" Clint stops her from inserting it in Ben's shaking body. "Are you sure this is gonna help?"

She shares a glance with Thomas. "...no. But it's the least we can do. This is a recipe I saw in the Changing. Is meant for something else, but the symptoms of that other thing are so similar to a Griever sting, that I have a feeling it might work."

"Okay, fine. More chance he survives," Jeff sighs. "Do it."

With a nod, she inserts the serum into Ben's arm. Watches him for a few seconds, but not much happens.

"Maybe we have to wait," Thomas says quickly.

She nods another time. "Yeah."

But when she gave herself that serum, all the black veins immediately vanished.

"What time is it?"

"Four o'clock," Clint announces.

A heavy breath leaves her mouth. Two hours left. She needs distraction in the meanwhile. "I'm gonna look for Camil and Chuck," she says. Without another word, she starts walking down the stairs.

Once she's at the bottom, she has to sit down for a second. Her. Freaking. Leg. After running around the whole day, ignoring the pain, it for sure shows now.

Then she gets back up, on her way to Camil. It's been a while since she had a good conversation with him.

She finds him in the kitchen. At first, she thinks he might've stolen a snack, but then she sees Fry at the counter, pouring steaming hot water into two cups.

"Oh, hi, Joan," the Cook greets. "Want a cup?"

"Yes, please," and her voice betrays her by cracking before she sits down across from Camil. Her hands reach for a small cardboard to fidget with.

Nope, this is definitely not gonna cheer her up.

"Thomas and I gave him a serum. I hope it works," she says quietly.

"I thought you didn't trust Thomas."

A shrug. "I don't really care at the moment. Gally didn't trust me at first either. And Ben's more important. Even though he yelled things at Thomas."

A silence falls. It's not uncomfortable, but neither is she at ease. Her eyes sting, begging for her to let go of tears, and something blocks her throat. Makes her want to sob. But she won't allow herself to. Not until she knows what's actually going to happen to Ben.

"Is Minho out of the Maze yet?" She wonders.

Ben's Minho's best friend. Always has been. As long as she remembers, at least.