𝟢𝟤𝟨,𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐞𝐧𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧 𝐢𝐬 𝐭𝐞𝐧𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠

CH. TWENTY - SIX
┗━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━┛

Tysm for helping with these ideas strwrslvr xx

There's a woman in front of her. Dressed in white, with dark hair cut past her shoulders. A sweet, genuine smile.

Taking a step closer, Joan reads the name tag on the woman's chest. Mary Cooper.

Her eyes wide. "...Mom?" She blurts out, but the woman's gaze softens even more, and she nods, opening her arms.

Joan hesitates. She doesn't even know this woman. Sure, it might really be her mother, but to hug her— fuck it, she hugs her.

A familiar smell fills her chest. Her hut smells nice and she's gotten used to the smell of the Glade, but this is the real smell of home. She recognizes it.

"Is this real?" She wonders quietly. They seem to be in a hallway of some kind of hospital. "Or am I hallucinating?"

"Hallucinating for sure," Mary replies. She lets go of her daughter with a smile. "But that doesn't immediately mean you can't make it seem real."

Her gaze softens, too. "Where are we? I remember getting pulled underwater and—"

"I'll show you," she interrupts. Takes Joan's hand and walks them over to a big, white door. "Come on."

The door opens and a whole new world is revealed.

They've walked into a landscape with hundreds of colorful flowers. The fresh smell of trees and nature. Woods in the distance, a few animals in the grass, and a sky that's almost more blue as in the Glade.

"Wow," she gulps. It's almost too much to take in. "But this isn't what the world looks like right now, right?"

Her mother shakes her head. "I wish it were like this. But your father and I are trying to reach a safe place."

"Are y'all alive?" She urges, no matter how ridiculous this whole situation is.

No reply. But if they're still trying to reach a safe place, they must be alive.

"There's people who want you to wake up," her mother announces after a comfortable silence. "We've got to apart ways now."

"But—"

"There she is!"

With a groan, her eyelids peel open and the hallucination gets replaced with a bright light.

Wow, a hallucination of her mother. The nicest hallucination so far. She wouldn't mind if this happened again, honestly.

However, it would be nice if next time it won't feel like her skull is about to crack open and flashes of pain hit her body every second.

"Hello there," she groans, meeting Jeff's eyes before she sees Newt, Alby, and Clint.

"Girl!" Newt peeps. "You somewhat drowned!"