Episode | 4

If Kaliope had ever seen Ronin McIntrye in the papers or on television, there was no way she'd forget. His presence exuded power and wealth in an understated, impossible-to-ignore way that drew her in. Tall, with broad shoulders, his dark hair was perfectly styled. His closely trimmed beard accentuated his symmetrical jawline. His tailored navy blue suit fit him like a glove, making him look effortlessly regal.

And then there were his coppery brown eyes. They sparkled with intelligence but no warmth. Nothing about him welcomed Kaliope. In fact, a tiny, inexplicable part of her wanted to retreat from his imposing presence. She held her posture straight under his prolonged scrutiny, bearing testament to the truthfulness of the rumors about him. Ronin McIntyre was a force.

Ronin assumed his position at the head of the table and clasped his hands over the folder he carried in. "I'll be brief, Ms. Barnes. My associate," he nodded toward Inola, "arranged this meeting based on the recommendation of a mutual acquaintance. I've reviewed your records, and based on the information, you seem to have an issue with authority."

Kaliope's features tightened. She forced the tension from her body. Acid from coating her voice. "I don't have an issue with authority, Mr. McIntyre."

"Don't you? Numerous citations for insubordination. Physical assault of a superior."

Ah. There it was. The shiniest blemish on Kaliope's track record. She forced down her retort so hard her chest ached as if they were trying to burst through her rib cage. Her clenched fingers ached.

"If you have something to say, Ms. Barnes..."

"I don't like idiots." The words lashed out, breaking free of Kaliope's restraints. Fuck it. From the moment he walked into the room, Ronin had already judged her wanting. "I don't like people who abuse the power their positions afford them. People who rely solely on their titles and refuse to take responsibility for their actions. Respect begets respect, Mr. McIntyre. Respect me, and I'll respect you. Whoever leads me to the most optimal results, I'll gladly obey. But I won't follow a sheep off a cliff because he's in a higher position than me. Would you?"

And there. She'd done it. She'd bombed her chance at working at Sage Tower Consultancy. The splintered pieces of her words rained around her in the protracted silence that followed her outburst. Eli's voice chose that time to pop into her head.

I admire your sense of justice and rebellious spirit, Kaliope, but sometimes your stubborn resolve poses a greater threat and obstacle to you than anything or anyone else.

Mentally, Kaliope slapped herself. In true Kaliope fashion, she held her head high as another bridge burned white hot around her.

Ronin McIntyre's coppery eyes reflected that fire as he tilted his head. The light spilling through the floor-to-ceiling window caressed the distinct angle from his chin to his ear. Her fingers itched to trace along it. The McIntyre genes were no joke.

"A sheep?"

Kaliope snapped to her senses, her mouth dry. She cleared her throat. "An army of sheep led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by a sheep."

Ronin leaned back in his chair. "And where did you learn that?"

Kaliope's skin prickled at the eerie familiarity of the sharp glint in Ronin's eyes.

"My university professor. He has a thing for witty anecdotes."

"Hmm." Ronin considered her a moment before continuing. Kaliope held his gaze despite her impulse to look away. "Sage Tower isn't for everyone, Ms. Barnes. Inola will give you a guided tour, at the end of which you'll decide whether you want to stay or leave. But first." He pushed the folder he brought in toward her.

Kaliope gaped at the folder until Inola reached over and flipped it open. Were they still considering her for the job? She thumbed through the document. "A non-disclosure agreement?"

"If you remain here, you'll work with the main CMT team. I'm the team lead. We handle highly specialized and sensitive cases, details of which we can't allow into the public domain." Ronin uncapped a pen he retrieved from his jacket pocket and offered it. "Sign it, and take the tour. Refuse, and Inola will escort you to the lobby with our thanks for taking the time to see us."

Kaliope pursed her lips. Sage Tower handled clients from high society—politicians, celebrities, and star athletes. Their elite clientele and reputation for discretion earned them the top spot in the industry. Not to mention their stellar track record for results. She wanted in. Barring any unexpected or nasty surprises, this was her chance. She'd puzzle over who she had to thank for it later.

She signed the document with Ronin's proffered pen. Kaliope frowned when a strange tingle coursed over her skin, but she brushed it aside. Inola collected the folder, and Kaliope returned Ronin's pen.

"Good. Follow me."

Kaliope and Inola followed Ronin down the hallway.

Inola leaned in and spoke to her in a low voice. "He deserved it." At Kaliope's puzzled expression, Inola continued. "That bugger-faced human you kicked in the crotch—"

"Inola." Ronin's terse reprimand cut across Inola's commendations. "We don't encourage that sort of behavior here." To Kaliope, he added, "You'll find the results less pleasant than a meeting with HR." The low tone of his voice held a hint of menace.

Lift a leg, and you'll lose it, was what he meant.

Despite her boss's stern admonishment, Inola winked, and Kaliope fought a smile. They'd seen the video, witnessed her shoving her foot down her throat, and were still willing to offer her a position. Did she have her anonymous benefactor to thank? They must have given one hell of a recommendation.

Inside the elevator, Inola spun Kaliope to face away from the closing door. Another button panel appeared except the numbers were odd characters of intersecting lines. Stranger, yet, there was a second door as if the elevator had flipped the other way. It hadn't. The door they entered remained behind them. Ronin punched in a sequence of numbers? Letters?

Kaliope wet her lips, trying to contain the flurry of questions swarming her mind. "Okay. I understand the need for security, but..."

Inola smiled. "You haven't seen half of it."

The door dinged and opened. Ronin disappeared when the door opened, veering left and out of sight. Kaliope froze, staring at a wide-open office floor bustling with employees. She hadn't sensed the elevator's movement up or down from where they boarded.

"Welcome to Sage Tower CMT Occult Division."

~~~

It's a whole new world for Kaliope as she learns about the Occult. New adventures await, and it's nothing like she's read in books.

To read the entire first season, along with Seasons 2 and 3, join me on Ream. The link's in my bio on the home page. Hope to see you there.