Episode | 13

Kaliope returned to work after three days of mandatory sick leave with renewed determination not to fall underfoot again. In chapter three of the employee handbook, she learned about forbidden places of high magic and gold signs. Inola delivered the giant text to her apartment on Ronin's instruction.

She'd skipped around the handbook on the first day, reading about lycans, witches, werewolves, and fox demons. Had she read in chronological order from the introduction in chapter one to the glossary of key terms in chapter two and the cautionary tales of chapter three, she wouldn't have wandered into the restricted Occult section at Kelmor Jeweler.

When the professor called the day after she overdosed on magic, Kaliope's ears rang from his lecture.

I didn't send you there to die, you stubborn child.

Eli punctuated his irritation with growls and snarls, befitting any respectable lycan. It worsened the dull, lingering throb between her eyes. A minor detail not worth sharing with the others.

Kaliope completed the handbook and took notes for ease of reference. And the day before, Gideon sent her a file about Witcher Houses. It expanded on the entry in her handbook. She finished it too. Kaliope wasn't a fragile human, and she refused to let her lack of magical abilities and limited occult knowledge be a handicap.

"You look better."

Andreas McIntyre fell into steps with Kaliope as she crossed the lobby. He matched her shorter stride, switching his briefcase to his other hand so it wouldn't bump into her. Scrutinies tinged with envy passed their way, and she was confident they were for her being in the presence of the more personable McIntyre.

"Magic packs a wallop." Kaliope gave him the once over. "Survived your conversation with your brother."

Andreas chortled and smoothed his dark hair. He grew it longer than his brother, which suited his devil-may-care attitude. Kaliope's eyes wandered to the line of his throat, appraising his silhouette in his pin-striped suit of the darkest gray. Damn. The McIntyre gene really hit hard. Their parents had to be a sight to behold.

"While I can handle my brother, I'm not above letting someone save him." He leaned closer to her as he spoke, his lopsided smile reflecting in his eyes.

"Pfft. No thanks. I like my head and limbs where they are."

"What are you two schmoozing about and not pressing the button?" Inola reached between them and pressed the elevator button. She looked up at Andreas, who stood an entire foot taller.

Andreas smiled. "Inola. Charming as ever."

Inola turned to Kaliope. "Is he bothering you?"

"Ah, no. We were just talking."

Inola narrowed her eyes at Andreas. "He might be a big bad wolf, but mine's bigger. Tell me if he oversteps."

Andreas laughed. "If you're talking about my brother..."

Inola smiled, and her lips spread unnaturally wide. Her teeth dual rows of pointed canines. Her eyes frosted gray. Kaliope panicked. There were regular staff members around. She grabbed Inola's arms.

"Put those teeth away, Inola."

But she wasn't the only one on display. Andrea's canines were out, too, his eyes blazing amber. His attractive features assumed a savage edge.

"Be. Have." Kaliope glanced about to ensure no one else saw the posturing canids.

For heaven's sake. Why was the elevator taking so long? She pressed the button repeatedly, willing the damn thing to open. When the elevator dinged, its doors yawning open, Kaliope shoved the pair inside. Inola and Andreas stood like two innocent pups, their facial expressions normal again.