Episode | 8

Ronin and his team wrapped up prep for their new case late. He foresaw a few touchy areas with socio-political elements and hostile histories involved. They'd have to tread lightly to avoid stepping on too many toes and triggering a social unrest that was, quite frankly, always on the verge of spilling from the proverbial boiling pot. He sensed trouble. It itched between his shoulder blades.

Inola sulked in her woe as she packed up her things about Kaliope Barnes not accepting the position as the fifth member of their team. "Do you think I scared her when I showed her my other form?"

Ronin sighed, adjusting the collar of his trench coat. "What do you think, Inola?"

She tipped her head back, then let it flop forward on her chest. "I thought it was funny."

Ronin contemplated the fox demon. Inola was rarely serious about anything outside their cases, but her listlessness at Kaliope's perceived rejection bothered her.

Gale, on the other hand, yawned unbothered. "It's for the best." He let his ash blond hair loose from its tie and ran his nimble fingers through it. His machines booted down with a snap of his fingers. "Hiring a human isn't a good idea. Better she forgets the whole thing ever happened."

Inola hissed at him. Gale's opinions aligned with the segment of the Occult who distrusted humans because of past conflicts. He avoided the ones they hired on their support team, holed up in his alcove inside the team office.

"She'd be fun to have around."

"Inola, you're here to work, not mastermind mischief. Don't think you're off the hook for sending her an interview invitation without my consent."

And her neck wasn't the only one on the chopping block. Eli was Inola's conspirator. He must have guessed Ronin would resist the idea, so he tipped off Inola. The only person who'd cross Ronin without a backward glance at the consequences.

It was Ronin's fault for allowing the little fox unchecked freedoms. He'd have to do something about it. A pledge he vowed for the umpteenth time. Their relationship was complex. The closest he ever experienced to friendship as Eli was the only family he connected with, despite their lack of relation by blood.

The fox demon pulled a face. "You're the one who offered her the job."

Ronin cringed. Cleared his throat as he pressed the button for the elevator. Inola smirked at his lack of defense. In a brief lapse of curiosity, he offered Kaliope a chance to join the team. He regretted it almost immediately, but it was too late to retract, and fabricating some weak excuse after the fact, wasn't his way. Kaliope's response to his accusation about her disregard for authority surprised him. The potency of her resolve. There was something... Ronin shook himself mentally. Dashed his stray musings.

If Kaliope Barnes accepted the position, he'd see it through. Simple. Ronin checked his watch. Ten minutes till the deadline.

He, Inola, and Gale boarded the elevator, the last bodies to leave their department.

"Oh. Did you erase the video like I asked?"

Gale darted a glance in Ronin's direction at Inola's question. Brazen as Inola was, it was different for Gale or Gideon.

Inola was the obnoxious troublemaker with thick skin and an innate aversion to rules. While Gale loved rules, he lived by them to the letter. He was quiet and spent more time with his glyphs and codes than the rest of the team until Gideon joined them. The affable werewolf was the balance between the fox demon and the witch. He helped to moderate Inola's reckless behaviors and drew Gale, with protest, out of his shell.

Ronin feigned disinterest in their conversation and loosened his tie. The ticking of his watch toward midnight tic-tic-ticked in his ear.

Gale sighed, outed in another of Inola's schemes. None of them were immune. "Yes. Like it never happened."

Inola gave a solemn nod, satisfied. "I made a deal. A fox is only as good as her word."

Ronin sniffed. "Until she decides it's not." Ronin sent Inola a sideways look as they disembarked the elevator in the lobby. Foxes were notorious for breaking as many contracts as they made. It all depended on their whims and fancies. They were, by nature, fickle creatures.

Inola flipped her hair over her shoulder and adjusted her tie with dramatic flare. "Kaliope's different. She's my friend."

Gale hissed his teeth. "You don't even know her."

"But I will. When she joins the team." Inola folded her arms. "You have Gideon. I want a friend too."

"You have like a whole pack."

"Those are my family." Inola cast Gale a sour side-eye. "The human will be my partner. If you're not nice to her." A low rumble vibrated in her throat. Her eyes lightened to a pale gray. Gale flinched. The lights in the elevator flickered in response to the tech mage's emotions.

Ronin, accustomed to their frequent bickering, sighed. "Behave, children." The last thing he wanted was for Gale to overload the elevator circuits and strand them there.

The fox demon showed confidence in her prediction of the future. Ronin hoped, like Gale, Kaliope Barnes would refuse the job offer. Something about the woman unsettled him, and he didn't know what or why. Other than the utter chaos she presented based on her track record. He checked his watch. Only three minutes had passed since he last checked. Why was the time moving so slowly? They crossed the lobby for the exit, and Ronin fought his unease.

Kaliope's job performance was never questioned; it was her people skills, particularly with her teammates. Clients loved her. She delivered positive results and received several commendations during her time at Baylor and Company and in her prior employment. She burned hot, and she burned out fast in all instances. How would she fare at Sage? As part of his team?

The wayward daughter. Eli's assessment hit all the marks. Kaliope held his gaze despite her instinct to avert her eyes. She wasn't one to be intimidated. She spoke her mind, heedless of the repercussions. Headstrong to the point of stubbornness. He caught the smile before it twitched his lips, realizing where his mind had drifted. To whom his memories conjured a link with Kaliope Barnes.

Ronin's eyes narrowed. A snippet of conversation between him and Eli surfaced.

She'd be good for you and the team.

Good for him?

What are you up to, you old wolf?

Ronin's phone chimed as he exited the building. He checked the message.

"Is it her?" Inola clapped and whooped at the notification about Kaliope's acceptance of the contract with five minutes to spare.

Great. Now Ronin potentially had two fox demons to contend with.

In higher spirits, Inola looked up at him, her eyes a brilliant green. "Wanna grab a drink with us?"

Gale grabbed the hem of Inola's jacket and hauled her away. "Boss never drinks with us. C'mon, before I change my mind. Good night, Boss."

"Bye-bye," Inola waved. "See you Monday."

Ronin inclined his head at his departing teammates. Their discords usually lasted a short time. He expelled a long breath as he regarded the pale orb of the full moon. Monday. She'll be there on Monday.

~~~

Will it be the mondayest of Mondays for Sage Tower's Lycan-in-Chief? To read the entire first season, along with Seasons 2 and 3, join me on Ream. The link's in my bio on the home page. Hope to see you there.