Episode | 7

Kaliope waited for forty minutes until Professor Reynold's class ended. And another ten minutes while he consulted with his students. She needed to figure out how to broach the topic of the Occult without violating her magically-binding NDA. Kaliope had yet to learn how the prevention worked other than it was harmless. But what the fox demon perceived as harmless might not be for her. Her mind threw worse-case scenarios at her as she paced, all of which concluded with a gruesome end.

She should have asked for an immediate termination of her NDA. But Kaliope promised to consider their offer as part of her deal for Inola to erase the video of her kicking Larry. Before they parted in the lobby, Inola assured her she'd see her part of the deal done. It was unlike her to blindly trust the word of another person. Inola being a demon, pushed Kaliope's boundaries further.

"Sit down, Kaliope." Eli entered his office and closed the door. "Your anxiety's painting the walls yellow. Something wrong?" He examined her attire from where he stood behind his desk. "Job interview?"

Kaliope took a step forward and hesitated. For the first time, she was unsure of Eli. Of the man she'd grown to trust only second to herself. His timelessness. The way he sometimes seemed to read her mind. The way he watched her as if he saw everything. All her hidden parts. His caramel-brown eyes with a light hint of amber around his pupils.

He likely wasn't who or what she believed he was. Unless Eli thought he'd recommended her for a run-of-the-mill job. Ronin might have been one of his old students. Kaliope wet her lips.

"Kaliope, whatever's on your mind, say it."

"Did you know?" The words rushed from her as if they'd been waiting for him to speak first.

"About what?"

The Occult. Witches. Demons. Werewolves. Magic. Kaliope wanted to come out and say it, but fear of the consequences pursed her lips.

Eli's lips curved into a gentle smile. "You wear self-control like a ticking bomb strapped to your chest. Relax. I'm aware of the Occult."

Kaliope expelled a breath.

"The NDA clause activates when the magic registers your intention to reveal our secrets to an outsider. It erases all memories linked to the Occult."

"Our secrets? So you... you're not human?"

"Does it matter?"

She'd known Eli for years. Trusted him. Not once had Kaliope suspected he was...other. Supernatural. Did it matter to her what he was? No. It wasn't about what he was but the fact he hid his identity from her. Then again, she knew little about her mentor. Their sharing of information mainly consisted of her revealing herself. It never bothered her before.

Eli's smile grew sad. His voice softened. "It wasn't my secret alone. I hope you won't hold it against me."

Kaliope crossed her arms. "I wouldn't have told anyone."

"I never thought you would. But I am honor-bound to my people. And what I am, what you are, has no bearing on our relationship. At least, not for me."

There was a question in his statement. Eli awaited Kaliope's response. She wanted to be upset, but there was no steam to build into anything. Kaliope dropped her hand in a huff and planted herself in his cushioned seat.

Eli clasped his hand on the desk. "Are we good?"

"Well, I'm not exactly in a position to be choosy about my social circle."

Eli chuckled. "How did you know it was me?"

"Wolf tie pin. I bumped into a man on campus wearing it, and I'm guessing he's the one I met today. Add that to someone recommending me for the job, and you become the main suspect since there's no one else." Unburdened by her fears of the NDA, Kaliope launched into a recap of her day. "I met a fox demon today."