Ten - Korah

"Welcome home Joon", two girls said as we passed through the huge black iron gates that blocked the ramp which led down between the huge metal walls. Undergroundinto the city of Korah.

Joon gifted them with a bratty little smile and they giggled, looking after us.

"Fans?', I asked.

"Joon's sort of a legend", Vhik said.

"Ah, they exaggerate", waved of the legend. "I did accomplish this and that. It's no big deal."

"It's a huge deal.", grumbled Vhik.
"Care to elaborate?", I asked the broad guy and he gave me wry smile. "Joon wouldn't admit it himself, but he is the Black Knives hero. Brings back abducted ones. Slays aliens. Finds new food sources. Has used alien magic..."

"Oh, enough!", interrupted Joon at the last one.

Curious, I raised my eyebrows at him, but he simply shrugged. "Old Ata helped me forge some old alien rune magic into a necklace and so on." He pulled at a silver chain around his neck and lifted up a small black stone with six jarred edges. "I can cause a few pressure waves here and there or center energy and burn somebody to a pile."

"That's... impressive", I said, although I could think of a few other words.

"So your friends are stuck with the Syren?"

"Last time I checked they were led into these little tents."

"Ooh", said Joon.

My head snapped up. "What?"

"Nothing", he said. "Don't worry. We'll get them."

I didn't miss the side eye Vhick gave him. But then I was distracted.

We'd reached the iron gates. The gravures in the black material scribbled of stories I couldn't read. "What is this other language you use?", I asked.

Joon pointed at one passage on the door. "Hartheh, sire en vought.", he said breezily. "It means 'pass if your worthy. The language is called Artibic. It's originally from the Zeon Alien race but they died out. Our people took it on when they first came here to not draw attention and hide as another alien race. Mask the fact that we are from earth."

"What do these aliens here know about earth?"

Joon made a grimace. "Varies from clan to clan. But your Syrens? These people are dangerous and they have been trying to find a path to other worlds. Namely your pretty blue little planet."

My stomach twisted. "Would that be bad?"

"If they managed to fly there? Oh, you don't want to imagine it. They are a cold hearted, power hungry, cynical snob race of aliens who think everyone else is below them. Don't get fooled by that flat piece of grass where you saw their tents. They have a huge city made out all of white stone.Tue shining Syrenith. The heart of the Glimmers."

"Then why are they out at their campsite?"

"To hunt."

Another knot in my stomach. I barely dared to ask. But I had to. "What exactly do you mean, Joon when you say they are there to hunt? They seemed upset about something. They thought I killed their pets or something. Not very hunter-like."

Joon frowned deeply. "Are you talking about their Lifelings?"

Yes! "That's what they called it. What are those Lifelings?"

Joon frowned even deeper. "Well, they are sacred creatures from the Dust Forest in the Glimmers. Usually, they can't be seen. In sheer daylight they hide in the form of shadows. They are holy spirits, captured in animal like cages. The Syrens have sworn to protect them, since the Spirits stand under the protection of their Goddess Noor'ah. They couldn't be... They really sad they were dead?"