Chapter Nine

Me - Hey, would it be okay for me to drive you to school tomorrow?

I sent the text as soon as I got up, hoping to spend a little more time with Lela. If I was lucky, maybe this could be a regular thing. Being wealthy meant that my mom had gotten me a car for my 17th birthday. It would have been a sweet 16, but much like they kept forgetting I was a senior, I think everyone forgot a birthday somewhere in there too.

In any case, I didn't mind, because I ended up with a gorgeous red 2023 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio last year. Yeah, a lot of kids at the academy had even nicer cars, but I loved my four door luxury sports sedan, and wasn't in the mood to give it up. The only thing I felt guilty about was that the only time it was ever driven was back and forth to Libby's house and the school. Longer trips were much faster on foot!

Lela – Yes please! I would much rather go with you. Louis usually picks us up, and I hate it.

Me – I'll be there then. Text me the addy.

Moments later I was feeling much better. It wasn't a date, but it was an extra bit of time that I could spend with Lela. That feeling didn't last long though, as when I got to the kitchen, all of my brothers, my mom and General Kitts were at the table having a discussion over breakfast, which I'd never seen before. Not that I was normally nosy, but I listened in as I slowly got a snack to go and packed my lunch for school.

"You're sure about this information? The entire team?" I heard my mother ask in a scared voice.

General Kitts nodded soberly. "I'm afraid so. The entire Chicago team is gone. Mammoth is dead, and Halo and Rosethorn are both in intensive care. We now know that Rot is operating as some sort of a mercenary, going around and dispatching heroes for a fee. There is a good chance he's coming here, and he won't be alone if the five here team up with him. He also has an assistant named Necrotia who appears to be a new love interest. She has the ability to make zombies out of the dead, which was a shock when Mammoth started fighting for them."

"We'll need to be prepared." Rhett said somberly. "Can we get help?"

"Not likely. It gets worse," The general told them. "Your friend from the park visited her father yesterday afternoon. She took out cameras, disabled four guards and was by his cell before anyone even had a chance to react."

"She broke him out?" my mother asked breathlessly.

"No, but you were right. We definitely have a mole because the code she used to enter the secured facility rooms was yours."

"We need to find that subject as soon as possible," Hayden growled. "Do we have anything else on her?"

"Only that she's incredibly fast. Everyone who watched the cameras is calling her Blink now, because as soon as they blink, she's gone."

I smirked with my back to them because I liked that name. I mean, I'd have to dress it up a bit, but it fit me. The rest I didn't like though. My mother was way too smart not to figure out that I could possibly be the mole, especially since I'd used her keypad code, and it would only be a matter of time before she took some of my DNA from the house and got it tested. But I was still making progress on being getting ready to run, so I walked in, gave my mom a kiss goodbye, and headed to school.

I drove to Libby's house for a quick good morning and to drop off another load of clothes in the suitcase, and then to Lela's house. She was waiting outside for me and waved as soon as she saw me pulling over, showing off her long legs in a stunning skirt as she ran over to the car.