Chapter Ten

Libby has continuously amazed me. When she first told me that she was on that autism spectrum, I was worried that I'd mess things up somehow, but she kept telling me to treat her like I always did, and it worked out fine. Even now, knowing how much of a genius she was, she still always exceeded expectations, every time I least expected. Having made my suit so fast was amazing, but when I raced to her house and explained the new situation, she pulled out a packed suitcase and asked when we were leaving.

Yeah, it turned out that when I started bringing clothes over, she naturally assumed that whenever I had to leave and go into hiding somewhere, that she would be going with me. She was right about that, but I was still shocked that she had the foresight to be ready. She'd be good to go once I had Lela back.

It was still early, school had really just started and so it was going to be a rush hour commute going down into the city, but I just followed the rail lines like I normally did and had no delays at all. The only problem was, I had no idea where Lela was. The best I could do was rely on my brothers to find her, and then go from there.

"Your brothers are all headed across the East River. I think they're headed to LaGuardia Airport." Libby was already on the ball for me. It was a slightly different route for me, but there were several subway stations not too far from there, so it wasn't hard. Libby was feeding me a GPS route, and I actually got there before Hayden and Kian, though Rhett was orbiting high overhead. I didn't see any planes moving as I crouched outside the chain link fence around the airport, though there was a plume of smoke behind the terminal, so I figured that was where I'd find Silverclaw and Lela.

I jetted to the front of the closest terminal where there were throngs of civilians leaving already and dodged between them like a salmon swimming upstream to get inside. There were a lot of yells and screams from people trying to get away from whatever was happening, and me wriggling through barely registered with them.

"Kam, head to the far side of Terminal B. The smoke is from a police copter that was shot down by Knightlight and his laser sword. There are a couple of news helicopters that are orbiting several miles away, but nobody wants to get closer. Hawk is up high, and the other two brothers will be there around the same time as you."

"Got it, thanks." Libby had given me all the info, but I still wasn't sure what to do. I wanted Silverclaw and his friends to go down, and I wanted to save Lela, but beyond that I didn't care. I didn't know much about the airport but there were signs for Terminal B, and I was so fast that I was able to get there quickly. Looking out the big windows let me find the smoke too, and soon enough I was standing at a corner near Gate 18, looking down at the smoking wreckage of a helicopter out on the runway. Luckily, there was no plane at the gate, which made me happy that there should be no hurt passengers.

Closer to the terminal, almost right underneath me, were the four figures of Silverclaw, Heartstopper, Knightlight, and Lela. Lela was in the back, as though she was being protected by the others, which I could believe. She probably had no idea what she was doing there and having her behind them would let her have cover from Kian's guns thanks to the armor that Silverclaw and Knightlight wore. I just wanted to get her out of there. Their positioning also put them right next to the doorways for the baggage claim carts, so they could get inside the terminal and nullify Rhett's flying ability. It wasn't a bad plan.

But I was formulating one myself.

"Libby, where are Panther and Cube?" I asked softly. My eyes were on Lela, trying not to admire her body through the tight spandex suit she was rocking. She had a partial mask that kept her mouth exposed, and every time she turned her head, I could see her full lips. Based on the videos she'd shown me, I could believe the sonic weapon remarks I'd heard. She certainly had the voice to make me melt.