ep. 23 ~ the map

john b wasn't used to being in the hospital, he knew his dad had never had the money for it so he'd always worked his clumsy ass off not to get hurt. and to keep his head down if he got sick.

frankly, none of the pogues were used to the bleach scented corridors of kildare county hospital. none, except luna b of course, not that she'd ever tell them that.

they were all more than happy to leave it.

~~~

pope, jj and i barrelled down the corridor towards john b's room, all too ready to tumble inside and see our friend - when kie's arm came up to halt us.

we tumbled into a tangled stop, all hanging on to different parts of each other (and ourselves) in an effort to stay upright.

the door to john b's room was firmly shut.

kie raised puzzled eyebrows, face incredulous.

"where's john b?" jj asked, breathless but grinning.

kie jerked a thumb at the door, pulling a face that said 'obviously'.

jj moves forwards again.

"we can't go in there."

"why?" pope asks, standing up a little straighter even as his hand stays fisted in the back of my waistcoat.

i realise half heartedly that we're all still in our midsummers getups, john b the only one of us who'd still been in his usual boardies and t-shirt, and must look more and more out of place as the sun inched over the horizon.

"ward cameron's in there."

my eyebrows shoot up with a mind of their own and jj's strangled little gasp let's me know his face is as much of a picture as mine. pope can only be doing his 'fish out of water' face right now.

"and- sarah?" i can't help but ask,

kie just nods at the door. my eyebrows rise to a truly comical height.

"wha- why? i mean-" jj struggles for words,

"is he here to- rip on john b? because of sarah?" i finish, worried because ward had already fired john b. he had a high enough standing that i know he could have john b shipped off with the DCS, maybe worse, in the blink of an eye if he wanted to.

"doesn't seem like it." kie shrugs, "but he didn't really say... anything."

she rubs at her chest anxiously.

i'd hug her if i didn't know how antsy physical contact made an already stressed kiara. so i just offer her a small smile, it's all i can offer her.

jj on the other hand claps a hand on her shoulder, squeezing in reassurance. she shrugs him off.

so we wait.

none of us is settled enough to sit down so we all pace, or stand around, tapping feet and wringing hands.

jj's waistcoat's now undone, suit jacket long since left behind, and despite the dirt and sweat staining the shirt underneath, it's an effort not to let my thoughts wander.