Wattpad Original
There are 25 more free parts

Ch 6: Proposal

"How long?"

I take a steadying breath. It was a lot to find out that dragons can walk as a human. But now there's more of them out there, and even more humans on top of that. And these other dragons are more domineering than Cephias's clan?

I take another breath and brace a hand against my temple.

"It doesn't matter." He shakes his head, his answer short and dismissive.

Does he think this water lord will simply spare me when he comes to kill the rest of Cephias's clan? It sure as all the hells matters.

I rub my fingers deeper into my throbbing temple, taking a measured breath as I do. My hand then falls to my side and when I address him, I do so with a rigid back and unwavering conviction.

"How long, Cephias?"

His gaze travels over me, running up and down. His scrutiny strips me of my clothes and the fire reflected within his eyes burns my skin. Yet, I do not waver.

"Three months."

I exhale and loosen my stance. Three months is doable. Not that I know how or what I will do.

I draw in deep, measured breaths while shifting through the new information.

There are humans across the water.

There are dragoniths across the water.

Cephias's people, the Firehearts, act as wardens over our realm and answer to the other clan, the Waterhearts.

Without a tribute, the Waterhearts will kill Cephias's people.

They might kill me.

They might enslave our realm if the Firehearts can't keep us under control.

What am I to do? Run? And then what? Wait for the Waterhearts to arrive? Go back to my family after they threw me away?

Can we even stand against dragons? Especially ones that are strong enough to massacre the ones we already live in fear of?

I've dodged death already. I've tasted a second chance, and it's too sweet to let go. I want to live.

But how?

"Like I said," continues Cephias, ignorant of the rapid spiral of my thoughts, "It's complicated and you shouldn't be worrying yourself about it. It's too much—"

"Yes," I say, my voice clipped and my breath quick. "Yes, it is too much for either of us to figure out, but if we put our heads together, then—"

"There is no putting our heads together," he says with a slight growl, stepping forward and regaining what ground he lost when I had pulled away. "Not unless it's your lips on mine."

He treats me with a rakish grin, his canines flashing in the firelight's flicker. One of his hands rises to my cheek, drawing the backs of his fingers over my skin before teasing a lock of my hair.

He thinks he can distract me, but his touch only pushes my nerves into a deeper frenzy. The once quiet clicking of pieces shifting into place in the back of my mind is now a storm of clarity.

I can't do this alone. If I run, I'll abandon the Firehearts, and though I dislike Cephias's ego and attitude, I've grown fond of Jennit, Andre, Bellina, and all the others.

I don't remember when I've last been treated with such selfless kindness. Even though I'm a prisoner, they consider me kin at their table. Do I abandon them just to escape death for a bit longer? Or do I delay my flight long enough to ensure there's a safe world for me to run to?