Wattpad Original
There are 15 more free parts

Ch 18: Reason

"What?"

My voice is low, and my thoughts are loud. Everything around me buzzes, and I struggle to keep up with the frenzied movements of the angered dragon.

"Oh? Did he not tell you about his betrothed before taking you in his bed?"

"That's enough, Peter!"

"What's wrong with me acknowledging the past? Or is it mentioning your trysts with a filthy human that bothers you?"

"Peter! I taught you better!"

This time, it is Bellina that berates the hotheaded beast as Cephias seethes.

Peter levels Cephias with a hard look. "What would Illira think of you replacing her with a human?"

Several chairs shift as dragoniths rise to their feet. Whether they are coming to Cephias's defense or backing Peter's rebellion, I can't tell, nor do I care.

"Enough!"

My voice rings out and bounces off the room's lofty ceiling. I'm on my feet, and though I am smaller than most present, everyone takes an uneasy step back, so my view of the two men is unhindered.

"Sir Peter, I wish to acknowledge the atrocities you have faced. It is understandable that you fear a repeat of such tragedies and wish to protect what family you have left."

My words do little to uncoil the tension wound tight inside Peter, but at least he doesn't protest. So I continue.

"I also wish to note that I don't care who knows my intimate exchanges. Had you bothered to ask around, you would know that my intention to marry your lord is quite public. In fact, I hope to secure matrimony to gain human allies for the dragoniths to tip the balance in your fight against the Waterhearts."

Based on the slight shift in Peter's shoulders, this is new information to him. He looks a tad shorter now and I'll gladly claim whatever ground I gain with him.

"As for the history of Cephias's previous betrothal, it is news to me. However, I am a princess and I, too, have been betrothed before."

This time it is Cephias who reacts. Until this point, he'd been watching me from the corner of his eye, intent to keep his focus upon the clear and present danger that is Peter.

However, my history has rocked him, and he turns to face me with a question in his red eyes.

"I was to be married to the second prince of Decarta, but once my parents determined I would be the replacement for the failed tribute, that arrangement was obviously cancelled. Thus is the way of royalty."

Cephias sighs, and though a part of me wishes to grant him a moment to relax, he still owes me answers.

"That all being said, your story, Peter, troubles me. I thought this massacre to have occurred decades ago, and I believed Cephias to be thirty at the most. How long ago was this terrible event?"

The confused bend of Peter's brow is mirrored in Cephias. For a moment, the two are on equal ground, though I'd rather it not be at my expense.

"It was a little over twenty years ago," answers the Fireheart lord with some hesitation. "I'm not sure what that has to do with my age."

Peter glances between Cephias and I, while the rest of the table murmurs.

"Would you not have been a child that long ago? The way Peter describes the event, it sounds like you were old enough to have affection for your betrothed. I certainly was engaged since I was born, but I did not meet my intended until I was a teenager."